1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011 | 05:20 PM
DAKOTAJIM
|
Professional
Default What is it?

When you lift the hood on each side there are two little spring loaded screws with cables leading from them. The cables look kind of like a hood release cable in size and go into the body behind the headlights. These are located on the body part just above the grill on the far left and right side where the hood rests when closed. Mine are getting rusty and just wondering if its something that needs to be replaced.

Old 01-08-2011 | 05:46 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

headlight adjustment screws...they should have a "v" and "h" above them...took me a bit to figure out too.

Old 01-08-2011 | 06:06 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
headlight adjustment screws...they should have a "v" and "h" above them...took me a bit to figure out too.
Correct!

A few of mine are busted by the headlight. I have seen tons of Dakotas like that too.

Old 01-08-2011 | 06:18 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

what do i win? hopefully a 4x4 frame...*crosses fingers*...lol

Old 01-08-2011 | 09:11 PM
DAKOTAJIM
|
Professional

Sorry no extra frames laying around but i really appreciate the help. I knew someone would know the answer because this is the best site on the web with the smartest members.

Old 01-09-2011 | 01:49 AM
JDakota92
Veteran

Mine are busted too. Maybe one day I'll try to figure a way to adjust them without the screws.

Old 01-09-2011 | 10:00 PM
89newbie
Captain

Mine were frozen and rusty also. To boot some numnuts had stripped the plastic adjuster out at the light. I wd-40 the nuts, if that is what we want to call them, I then alligned it all, till I got all but one working properly. My fix for that was position the lil plastic thinggie where it should have been on the light for proper adjustment and ran the nut screw so it was hitting at mid point. (Get ready for the dirty word), I superglued it in place since Numnuts had stripped the frame. After it all had set up I tried adjustment and all was good.

Old 01-10-2011 | 09:44 PM
Wishihadahonda
Professional

mine are FUBAR too and i really need to figure a fix and adjust my lights i cant see **** even with the highs on and i drive ALOT

Old 01-11-2011 | 08:59 AM
89newbie
Captain

READ MY FIX IT HAS BEEN WORKING. AT THIS POINT I HAVE ADDED hELPER SPRINGS, BLOCKS, RAISED THE FRONT, ALLIGNMENT AND STILL ABLE TO ADJUST LIGHTS, BUT i AM CAREFUL. I HAD TO ADJUST THEM WHEN THE TOOL BOXES ETC WERE ADDED ALSO.

Originally Posted by 89newbie
Mine were frozen and rusty also. To boot some numnuts had stripped the plastic adjuster out at the light. I wd-40 the nuts, if that is what we want to call them, I then alligned it all, till I got all but one working properly. My fix for that was position the lil plastic thinggie where it should have been on the light for proper adjustment and ran the nut screw so it was hitting at mid point. (Get ready for the dirty word), I superglued it in place since Numnuts had stripped the frame. After it all had set up I tried adjustment and all was good.