1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Just bought a 1996 Dakota 3.9 and needs some assistance...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011 | 04:01 PM
festerw
Veteran

On your tailgate issue clean everything you can reach with a toothbrush and some carb or electrical cleaner then use a graphite lubricant and they should work like new.

Old 01-10-2011 | 06:18 PM
siggie30
Captain

Originally Posted by 1stGenDak
More updates....
I went back out to the truck started it up, and for some reason the vent selector was working I guess just taking it out, wiggling some connections was enought to get it going again.

Now i notice there is a noise coming from the blower like a trading card in the spokes of the bike tire, so I guess I have a leaf stuck in there. No big deal, but while I am in there i figured I would replace the air cabin air filter if there was one.....So is there one?

I investigated the tailgate latch situation again, and noticed, that everything was working properly if you wiggled a few metal pieces. I sprayed some lubricant in the latch to ease the friction, and if you shut the tailgate with a little bit of force it will latch. So that issue is resolved.

Thanks again for all of the help so far.
Zac
You can rewire the radio. There is a 95 service manual free to download (link at the beginning of the 1st gen forum). Ebay has a gagillion harness adapters in both male and female to update the colors to standard. They are usually about $4-$6 dollars. If you are not upgrading your head unit, and are not looking to amplify your speakers, you could buy the generic paper cone speakers and replace the existing ones (paper is better for low voltage sound as the paper is not as sensitive to frequency changes) at about $12 each (pepboys)

I live in Sarasota, so I know what you mean about the 10 months of heat.

The fan can be accessed by removing about 3-5 screws on the passenger side (without removing any dash parts). They do tend to collect hair, dust, and leaves. I cleaned a mouse nest out of mine. No filter that I know of.

I would guess that your headlight wiring was bypassed, or repaired at some point. The fact that your cluster is getting a signal is good, but the voltage is off, so the light is staying on. Typical of bulb sockets to collect moisture and corrode due to the galvanic effect.You can clean the contact area with a battery brush and add dielectric grease before installing the lamp bulb. Any wire that has been "tapped" should be repaired correctly. Pure black wires are typically ground for electronics (a common in homes for some reason), the black/yellow

Last edited by siggie30; 01-10-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 1996 Dakota 3.9 and needs some assistance...