1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

If a squeal doesn't change with engine revs, then it is probably????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 PM
1stGenDak
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If a squeal doesn't change with engine revs, then it is probably????

I am thinking the radiator fan clutch? It only squeals when it is cold (clutch would be released) and the sound doesn't really change with revs like a belt squeal would.

Can I just spray it with something, or does it need replacing?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
ne14t
Rookie

Is it a belt just starting to slip or a totally different sound? The only noise I ever hear from the front of my truck besides the roar of the engine is some lifter chatter (common and not detrimental) and the click from the fan clutch.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM
1stGenDak
Professional

I inspected the belt and it seems good. No cracking or damage to be seen.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just try WD spray one pulley at a time. Then test it then spray another. Don't get any on the belt.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

it's not a belt. if you increase the engine speed and squeal DOES NOT CHANGE it's not the belts. if the squeel lasts a long time i would look at the fan clutch. nothing you can do but replace it. do you live in the midwest U.S. or western Canada? been pretty cold there. i swapped in synthetic tranny fluid and solved the problem of a cold weather squeel' just an option.

Last edited by mazda7475; 01-19-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 PM
1stGenDak
Professional

Originally Posted by mazda7475
it's not a belt. if you increase the engine speed and squeal DOES NOT CHANGE it's not the belts. if the squeel lasts a long time i would look at the fan clutch. nothing you can do but replace it. do you live in the midwest U.S. or western Canada? been pretty cold there. i swapped in synthetic tranny fluid and solved the problem of a cold weather squeel' just an option.

I want to take it off, and tried for about 1 1/2 hrs to get the damn thing loose but I couldn't keep the water pump pulley from turning. I have no idea what the FSM is talking about by insert a screwdriver but that ish isn't working. I tried a rubber strap wrench and it slipped on the pulley. I tried cranking down on the belt tensioner and the belt was slipping. I am going to buy a bigger wrench tomorrow, some penetrating oil, and will clean the pulley and strap wrench and see where that gets me.

Zac

Quick Reply: If a squeal doesn't change with engine revs, then it is probably????