1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How to take out the governer???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 AM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that I can wreck the truck at the speeds here also I am talking about km here which aren't super fast, all I am saying is that I just want a nice little scrappy truck, I am tired of hearing that dodge and especailly dakotas are garbage, I am the lone and true wolf in my town. If you seen my pics of what it used to be you would know that all the ford and chev guys love to see a ugly truck in their minct. And I would definetly want to upgrade the truck with a 5.9L and the hole shhbang but I don't have the money or knowledge to do it, remember I am basically a kid. Though this truck is on its last legs as it is, I feel that she deserves to live to the fullest even if it means destuction; I am not super hard on her I just test her stuff. Though on a lighter side of events I swapped to my "fast" pcm. THough the quite suprising thing is that my truck with the slow top speed rev's at a much higher rate then the fast one and shifts later, at 5500rpm which is in the middle of the red mark, I really still don't have a clue, and I do not think it is healthy for the truck.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol yeah thats not healthy. Just take care of her and test her slowly I guess haha

Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

the fastest ive had my truck was racing some sunfire tryna act big down a straight away, and i got it up to 160km/h which is 100mp/h. it was still climbing but the sunfire was well in the dust so I slowed down haha. thats my basic bone stock v6 doin its thang lol. spunky trucks. i dont know why the pcm would make a difference in your truck like that tho. maybe one is messed up and isnt controlling stuff like it should be? that would be my best guess. be careful tho, like Crazy4x4RT said, they're trucks. thats why I'm giving my 2wd a lower stance, to make it a little more safer only 2 inches tho!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

when you are pushing it like that just remember first it is a v6 and it's hard on that motor to keep pushin the air like that never mind any hills or any manuvering you may do. i've got a 5.2 and i seldom push it like that. it's not even seen 100mph yet. may not ever. the fact is that if you want your truck to do this type of stuff and hold together doing it you need to do a few things. first and formost assuming your trans is still healthy is add a trans cooler and keep up with your fluids. the 3.9 will push it pretty fast but it's a really really high lode on the poor lil motor. remember these engines are torque monsters and hate high revs unless you open em up. cold air intake short runner intake port the heads add a cam headers. the list goes on and even with all of that. you still have reletively high bearing loads wich means accelerated wear. in all honesty if you want a race truck i'd save up and study up and work towards a v8 and with driving like that i'd swap out to a stick. much more rugged for that kind of abuse. you say your basically a kid and i'll say from expeirence (not been that long for myself) that if you drive it like that (even occasionally) you wear it out faster and it gets really really expensive to fix it all back up. i good analogy is this 1 mile at 100mph is comparable to 10 or even 20 at 55 mph. why is this? because your pushing an insane amount of air infront of you. hold your arm out of the window at 70 (ok don't but im sure you have) and feel how hard the air pushes on your hand. that is just your hand and your truck is like a big friggin wall pushing all of that air. so it's hundreds of times harder for it that it is for you. if you can afford the damage and don't mind it then keep it on the track when you do it and more power to you. otherwise be prepared to spend big.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by 9652dakota
when you are pushing it like that just remember first it is a v6 and it's hard on that motor to keep pushin the air like that never mind any hills or any manuvering you may do. i've got a 5.2 and i seldom push it like that. it's not even seen 100mph yet. may not ever. the fact is that if you want your truck to do this type of stuff and hold together doing it you need to do a few things. first and formost assuming your trans is still healthy is add a trans cooler and keep up with your fluids. the 3.9 will push it pretty fast but it's a really really high lode on the poor lil motor. remember these engines are torque monsters and hate high revs unless you open em up. cold air intake short runner intake port the heads add a cam headers. the list goes on and even with all of that. you still have reletively high bearing loads wich means accelerated wear. in all honesty if you want a race truck i'd save up and study up and work towards a v8 and with driving like that i'd swap out to a stick. much more rugged for that kind of abuse. you say your basically a kid and i'll say from expeirence (not been that long for myself) that if you drive it like that (even occasionally) you wear it out faster and it gets really really expensive to fix it all back up. i good analogy is this 1 mile at 100mph is comparable to 10 or even 20 at 55 mph. why is this? because your pushing an insane amount of air infront of you. hold your arm out of the window at 70 (ok don't but im sure you have) and feel how hard the air pushes on your hand. that is just your hand and your truck is like a big friggin wall pushing all of that air. so it's hundreds of times harder for it that it is for you. if you can afford the damage and don't mind it then keep it on the track when you do it and more power to you. otherwise be prepared to spend big.
I can't speak much for T.C., but personally, i did that to my truck 2 years ago, and have done it several hundred times since then. my motor has 273000km on it now, and its still running brand new. shifting like brand new. i think that your heavily underestimating the sheer reliability of these engines and transmissions. granting that i do agree and understand the load and excessive wear on the motor and tranny, they are built tough enough to withstand it i would assume. i drive the living hell outta mine day in and day out (mainly because im swapping the 6 for an 8 this summer) and its takin everything ive thrown at her with strides!

now dont get me wrong, these trucks were not at all designed to go that fast, but dont underestimate the pure power of dodge! haha

Old 01-24-2011, 05:19 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

lol ill agree with ya both. i dont like to push/wanna push/or entirely trust the strength of the engine or transmission...mostly cause im not the only owner haha. but then again...i feel it has that magnum badge for a good *** reason!!! lmao

Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

and the worst part is, ive neglected my transmission so bad in the 2 years ive owned it. ive never changed the fluid! i check it to make sure its not burning it, or loosing it, but overall, thats all ive done with my transmission. and it STILL shifts like new. lol. i guess maybe some are built better than others? haha

Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 PM
T.C.
Professional

I am back, well i see there are two sides of this coin. One is for the people who believe to drive extra careful to preserve the truck, the others drive because they believe its ment to be driven. I am agreeing that you should take care of your ride though, also to have fun with it. If your truck is your baby, your collection then by all means I agree that keepin it look sharp and running nice is the way to go. Though this is my first ever ride, my firstever truck and I definetly heard stories about the little hot rods back in the 60/ 70 that people's parents had and how they hot rod them up and had fun with it. So I believe that it is worth racin around in my truck "safely of course" and to sorta bring back that era in my own way. I should actually choose ya better hot rod to work with, but like a old sayin goes its not how much money you can customize your rod, its just how much ideas and knowledge that you can.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

T.C.
You need to take into consideration that a 1960 Lamborghini could only manage 175MPH or 282Km/h. You could only imagine a truck would be lucky to see probably 70-80MPH or 113-130Km/h in those days.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
T.C.
You need to take into consideration that a 1960 Lamborghini could only manage 175MPH or 282Km/h. You could only imagine a truck would be lucky to see probably 70-80MPH or 113-130Km/h in those days.
i think hes talkin 1980's chevy pickups, 60's novas, impalas, malibus, and so on and so fourth. big block 350's and what not. he wants to be able to drift around, street race people and win. i know how he feels too! i love to street race my truck. ive yet to lose a race too. never gone up against a v8 tho. the way i feel is, the harder you push the vehicle (in small spirts), the higher the temps are in the cylinders, and therefore the carbon cant build as fast or easy. you usually end up burning off built up carbon when you get into the higher RPMs. theres the side where you drive it like its prestine, and keep it in tip top shape, and therefore the motor builds more carbon, or drive it like a maniac occasionally and burn off all your carbon and therefore keep the cylinders cleaner and all the other components carbon free. when carbon builds up too bad, it clogs things up and causes the motor to run like crap. unless you run seafoam through the motor on a regular basis i suppose...

Quick Reply: How to take out the governer???