1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How to take out the governer???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 PM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to take out the governer???

I got a 92 dodge dakota v6 magnum, just wondering how we can take out the governer in it, Or where it is actually located. Thanks

Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
festerw
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're talking about the speed limiter it's in the computer programming.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Applehugger
Rookie

Our trucks have a governor? Why? Is he confusing a governor with a rev-limiter?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 AM
Spennyman1
Rookie

Hold a new election. Sorry I had too.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 AM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

Originally Posted by Spennyman1
Hold a new election. Sorry I had too.
haha good one

Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM
T.C.
Professional

Originally Posted by Applehugger
Our trucks have a governor? Why? Is he confusing a governor with a rev-limiter?
A no actually I don't think I am? I have three pcm and one of them I was able to lose the rev limiter. I don't know how really alot of hitting it with a hammer , though I swapped it out with my old one and its now toppin out at 189km/h, I could go faster though i was on a gravel road; and when I threw on my old one its doing 140 from a 170km/h top out, "I am to lazy to convert from my canadian metric system" but I don't know if there is a governer on it or that I will have to reprogram it?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL! It is not a race car! It's a truck, your going to kill someone! At the very least you will kill your transmission, it was not built to go that fast, you will burn it up super quick. A transmission rebuild is $2,000.00. Do you have that to rebuild it once it dies on you?

A governor valve regulates when you shift at all gears, up and down. If you remove it you will be stuck in 1st gear and can't **** up ever. The Gov valve is in the rear of the transmission in the inside, a complete dissassembly would be necessary to get at it.

My understanding is the PCM regulates the top end speed by cutting back the engine RPM's and doesn't let you build enough to go faster.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 01-20-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:25 PM
T.C.
Professional

Then how come my truck speed varries with different pcms, cause I got one that is super slow and it does like 140km/h. Also not to worry you Crazy4x4 I don't do it when any one is near and on a safe and "private" track. Though a vechile is made to have fun and as long as you aren't a dumb butt then you are ok. It is the first ever vechile I owned so let the kid have a little break eh.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Applehugger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
LOL! It is not a race car! It's a truck, your going to kill someone! At the very least you will kill your transmission, it was not built to go that fast, you will burn it up super quick. A transmission rebuild is $2,000.00. Do you have that to rebuild it once it dies on you?

A governor valve regulates when you shift at all gears, up and down. If you remove it you will be stuck in 1st gear and can't **** up ever. The Gov valve is in the rear of the transmission in the inside, a complete dissassembly would be necessary to get at it.

My understanding is the PCM regulates the top end speed by cutting back the engine RPM's and doesn't let you build enough to go faster.
This makes sense because I know different PCM's cut the rev-limiter in at higher or lower RPM's. I always thought that the truck would be limited by aerodynamics first though since I'd imagine the drag coefficient is probably abhorrent. I could not agree with your first paragraph more however. There is a HUGE difference between our trucks and a finely crafted German saloon. Some vehicles can handle traveling at their top speed all day long without breaking a sweat. Dakota's are not like that. Many components, the transmission at the top of the list, are not meant to handle that strain.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Like Apple hugger said "I know different PCM's cut the rev-limiter in at higher or lower RPM's." So maybe thats why the speed varies with the different PCMs, idk. Either way my question is simply...Why? Not like your gonna be going that fast 99% of the time you drive. At least I hope not. And like Crazy said, youre just gonna kill your truck. You want power or to go faster, throw in a V8 or some bolt-ons like air intake, exhaust, etc.

Quick Reply: How to take out the governer???