1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Askin the cold weather guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 03:12 AM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Askin the cold weather guys

Lately it has been gettin into single digits where i live and more door keeps freezin shut, wonderin if theres any ways to stop it from doin this, i tried brakin off all the ice and it still freezes shut. i have to go through the passengers side to push on the door. I am far from skinny and am gettin tired of reachin across the cab haha

Old 01-22-2011, 04:54 AM
festerw
Veteran

Buy a can of silicone spray, spray it on all of the door seals and wipe off the excess.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by festerw
Buy a can of silicone spray, spray it on all of the door seals and wipe off the excess.
Hey dude thanks on the silicone. My Dak is a work truck with tool boxes, It was so nasty yesterday I went thru auto car wash and the seals on the boxes froze. Poured bout a qt. of hot water on doors and they freed but I made a mental note to ask here if anyone had a fix.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just park with my drivers door closer to the garage... Usually helps or you could just start the truck and let it warm up the door will thaw on it's own

Old 01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Applehugger
Rookie

To prevent this from happening next winter, sometime in late fall when it's still warm outside, wash out the door jambs and wax all the metal areas. Then apply a vinyl dressing to the seals (NOT Armour All, but a quality one like Maguires Natural Shine or AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber dressing.) Then in the winter, just bring a rag and wipe out the door jambs after you wash the truck every time in the winter. The wax will allow the dirt to be wiped off the metal areas with ease and the rubber seals won't absorb water since they've been dressed. I've done this on all four vehicles I've owned and not once have I ever had a door freeze shut on me.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by Applehugger
To prevent this from happening next winter, sometime in late fall when it's still warm outside, wash out the door jambs and wax all the metal areas. Then apply a vinyl dressing to the seals (NOT Armour All, but a quality one like Maguires Natural Shine or AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber dressing.) Then in the winter, just bring a rag and wipe out the door jambs after you wash the truck every time in the winter. The wax will allow the dirt to be wiped off the metal areas with ease and the rubber seals won't absorb water since they've been dressed. I've done this on all four vehicles I've owned and not once have I ever had a door freeze shut on me.
Thanks for another great suggestion. I keep mine clean but never thought of vinyl.dressings to combat sticking doors.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 PM
clarecowboy

vaseling on the door seals works pretty good to

Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Chris0908
Professional

I know what you mean with the weather, out here in Connecticut we've been dropping into the Singles here too kinda sucks. I took a can of White Lithium before the winter and put it on all the linings and sprayed the locking mechanism and the door hinges and haven't had any freezing yet.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Applehugger
Rookie

Although Vaseline will work, it attracts dirt worse than WD-40. So I don't recommend that. Lithium grease is another good suggestion.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by Applehugger
Although Vaseline will work, it attracts dirt worse than WD-40. So I don't recommend that. Lithium grease is another good suggestion.
LOL reminds me of the worn out ancient joke, What did the old maids buy vasoline for? BAck then the ans. was 89 cents.

Quick Reply: Askin the cold weather guys