1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

winter windshield tip.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 AM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
Never had a windshield crack from using heat with snow or ice on it. I've even done stupid stuff like throw hot water on them.
Ive seen people do this, I wouldnt, but actually ive never seen one crack from this. LOL I've been cautious with winter & vehicles since I got my pants dusted by Dad for scrapin snow of of his 49 Nash with a rake.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Spennyman1
Rookie

A rake..............ouch LOL

Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Hope that wasn't a steel rake! lol Up here I hear a lot of people say they throw hot water on the windshield, amazing they don't crack from doing that.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 AM
89newbie
Captain

lol yep it was a steel rake, my sister helped and used a steel hoe. We wer clearin snow so Mom could go to work. Dad was happy until she came home that day and he saw, errr groves in the paint, not scratches. Amazing thing is I got my but beat, she didn't. Later on in life I found out she was a very convincing liar.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Applehugger
In the future, rather then replacing wipers that don't work properly, take a paper towel and wipe the blades with Isapropyl alcohol. This will take all of the oils out of the blades and allow them to function like new. But remember, wiper blades, no matter how new, will not function properly on a windscreen full of bonded contaminants. I use a clay-bar on my windscreen at least twice a year, and I keep it clean with Stoner's Invisible Glass with Rain Repellant so it beads water constantly. That saved me when my wiper motor quit working in the middle of a rain-storm earlier this year.
I never replaced a windshield wiper because it wouldnt work...I only replaced them because they broke from being iced over. That winter we had a lot of rain and freezing temps. Call me oldfashion, car nut or whatever but with every car I ever owned I never put the blower on full blast... It puts a huge strain on the motor.

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 01-24-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
I never replaced a windshield wiper because it wouldnt work...I only replaced them because they broke from being iced over. That winter we had a lot of rain and freezing temps. Call me oldfashion, car nut or whatever but with every car I ever owned I never put the blower on full blast... It puts a huge strain on the motor.
a huge strain on the motor, as well as cools the heater core off faster than it can warm up. i usually put the setting to the second or third setting on the first start up of the day. even with a crack in my windsheild from a stone chip, it doesnt crack my windshield more, ever, and we get -40C temps here. ive noticed from time playing around with it, that if the fan speed is set to the second or third click, the heat comes faster than if you set it to max. with reason tho, as the fan motor is blasting cold air over a cold heater core thats attempting to get warm with the warm antifreeze flowing through it, the faster that air is being blown past the heater core, the more its cooling it down as its trying to warm up.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by Applehugger
In the future, rather then replacing wipers that don't work properly, take a paper towel and wipe the blades with Isapropyl alcohol. This will take all of the oils out of the blades and allow them to function like new. But remember, wiper blades, no matter how new, will not function properly on a windscreen full of bonded contaminants. I use a clay-bar on my windscreen at least twice a year, and I keep it clean with Stoner's Invisible Glass with Rain Repellant so it beads water constantly. That saved me when my wiper motor quit working in the middle of a rain-storm earlier this year.
Thanks for the ideas. I drive interstate 76 miles a day and some of the stuff coming from tractor trailers is really bad. Im wondering if the alcohol will get rid of that stuff, Ill try it. Mrs Newbies Dak has rainex on it mine does not. We have no garage and they both sit outside side by side. On frost mornings when the sun comes over the mountain, (lol when there is sun), Ive noticed hers clears faster and the water runs off much better than mine.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Applehugger
Rookie

Originally Posted by 89newbie
Thanks for the ideas. I drive interstate 76 miles a day and some of the stuff coming from tractor trailers is really bad. Im wondering if the alcohol will get rid of that stuff, Ill try it. Mrs Newbies Dak has rainex on it mine does not. We have no garage and they both sit outside side by side. On frost mornings when the sun comes over the mountain, (lol when there is sun), Ive noticed hers clears faster and the water runs off much better than mine.
Nothing takes off bonded contaminants but a clay bar, although I do recommend prepping your windscreen with an alcohol wipedown before you apply Rain-X or Stoner's IG.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

i usually use my wipers till the rubber breaks off of them then replace them...i found out why my heat controls wouldn't switch over...and fixed it. i usually let my truck idle in the driveway for around 5-7mins. its blocked in so no one can take it...not that they would want to. usually after about 5min teh needle starts to move up but if i have to drive it cold then i pull out the scraper and scrape teh ice off...just teh other week i actually broke the scraper part of teh brush...had about an inch and a half of ice to get off...luckily i have 4 of them...use them as shovels too. i like that rainx stuff. i put that on my windshield after a good car wash and it works for a good month(depending on the amount of rain we get). i especially like the way the water runs off the windshield while i'm on the freeway...lol

Old 01-26-2011, 01:18 AM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
Never had a windshield crack from using heat with snow or ice on it. I've even done stupid stuff like throw hot water on them.
I know, from personal experiance, washing your vehicle in the summer with a hose and ice cold water = cracked and discolored windsheid. use to be a nice 88 buick century...now its rusty but with one hell of a beastly engine

Quick Reply: winter windshield tip.