1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

weird click..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:50 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weird click..

so i got a weird clicking noise coming out of the front driver side wheel. its most promenant when i am moving forward going straight at slow speeds. its hard to explain, but it doesnt do it when i turn the wheel, or when i shake the wheel back and fourth. the best example for it is when im pulling outta my parking spot is when it does it most. it only makes this clicking in the winter too. this is the second winter its done it, but this year its much much worse. i was thinking maybe a tie rod end, but then why wouldnt it do it when i shake the wheel back and fourth? another possibility is a ball joint, but again, it doesnt do it when i shake the wheel. i cant hear it once i get going any faster than 20km/h tho.. maybe the bearrings? im at a loss and have no idea, but i dont want something to snap on me when im driving it to work or somewhere farther away

Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be anything. Did you take off the wheel and brakes and inspect it all?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:57 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

its freezing cold out and i dont know anyone with a garage so i havent really been able to get around to any inspections. i was just hopin someone mighta had a similar situation and could make mine easier..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:54 AM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got a click and squeak when I turned the wheel driving or stopped. Tried moving the wheel by hand with it jacked up but did not do anything. Turned out to be the ball joint. The boot was noticeably split and worn.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by oxygen454
I got a click and squeak when I turned the wheel driving or stopped. Tried moving the wheel by hand with it jacked up but did not do anything. Turned out to be the ball joint. The boot was noticeably split and worn.
upper or lower? i guess it doesnt really matter. ive noticed a split in my upper ball joint, however, like i said before, it only acts up and clicks like that in the winter. ahh, either way the ball joints have to be done this summer so hopefully the click is gone next year!

Old 01-25-2011, 02:42 AM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was the lower.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 PM
pashadowops
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awe waddaya worried about...that click is a feature in these trucks...

Quick Reply: weird click..