1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1990 transmission adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 PM
oldmantruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 transmission adjustment?

got a 1990 dakota for essentially free, traded a baet up pos quad i had straight for it, has a nice 6ft meyers plow setup(i believe its the factory one?) body has a little rust but nothing major, tons of new parts. truck runs and drives great,but theres a catch...
problem #1 is the transmission seems to hold first and second gear too long, shifts out of third too soon too, ive looked everywhere and there is no tv cable on this truck nor do i see any place for one. it has a metal bar that goes from the throttle body down to the transmission, im assuming that replaces the cable? i changed the spring from the bar to the throttle bady for a slightly stronger one and it helped some but it still dosnt seem right.
problem #2--only happens rarely, mainly at a certain railroad crossing thats on a hill, i slow down for the tracks and when i go to speed up again it makes a noise like a wookie(think chewbacca, i know i know, but its the best description i have) and seems to slip in gear? torque converter lockup?? any suggestions would be appreciated, i know the transmission was rebuilt relatively recent before i got it, as the trans has new gaskets and the tranny pan is brand new with a mopar part number sticker on it

Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to DF.

Check the FAQ in this section, there is a post on the adjustment on the TV cable.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM
oldmantruck

That's just it. There is no tv cable. Is the metal rod used instead of the tv cable?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The metal rod should have an adustment. Try just taking it off and pull it forward from the trans (hook the return spring to it to hold it forward). If the trans shifts really early, that'll tell you if the trans is working right inside. If it still shifts off, then you'll probably need to get into the trans. Is that on OD trans?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 AM
oldmantruck

I put a better spring on it so it moves the same as the throttle instead of loose and sloppy. But it seems to shift late. Holds first and second to almost 3k rpm when cold. Still does the wookie noise sometimes too. Shifts alot better once it warms up. Yes it's an overdrive trans

Old 01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
bjr1a
Professional

Sure does sound like you have high throttle pressure and yes the rod and tV cable serve the same purpose....However this adjustment is critical, you apparently have too much pressure, the danger is if you have too little, trans failure WILL result....You need to get a service manual or take to someone with experience to set the rod correctly..To get a base adjustment set carb/FI at wide open throttle ( engine off) , look at top lever at transmission end of linkage and the top lever should be bottomed to the rear of vehicle...Just dont guess at this because trans damage can and will result !

brian

Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
thefamilyguy209
Professional

I have the same problem with my 95. But sometimes mine shifts perfect others i have to take my foot off the gas for it to upshift...any thoughts?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 PM
22DODGE22

It's all in throttle pressure. TV valve and governer controls shift points. you'd never have any upshift if the governer doesn't work. So you need to focus on TV

Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 AM
oldmantruck

Is it possible to replace the rod with a tv cable off a newer Dakota? Seems like the cable is the better setup

Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 AM
22DODGE22

Anything is possible but really what needs to be known is did this problem suddenly show up? Was any work done on the vehicle that may have affected this problem? etc. There is nothing wrong with the rod setup. It's worked fine for over 40years. But it just doesn't magically go out of adjustment. There has to be an underlying cause.

Quick Reply: 1990 transmission adjustment?