1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

So....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
ne14t
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So....

I got the converter replaced yesterday in my truck, those of you that read my other post and were following it would know that the original CAT was replaced with a nice piece of straight pipe (YAY!) which made it instantly fail emissions testing. My buddy had some free time at his shop yesterday so he did me a solid and welded in the Magnaflow universal CAT I picked up from work for a whole $51

He calls me up a couple hours later and says "Hey man were just putting the finishing touches on your truck you can come pick it up whenever" SWEET I get my coworker to drive me over there and I hope in the truck and head back to work. After work I drove about 10 minutes home and parked the truck for a couple hours, when I went back out later I was greeted by something weird.

As I drive down the street I accelerate upto legal speeds reving the engine upto about 3K RPM when all of a sudden I hear was sounds like a popcorn maker going nuts inside the convertor, just this consant "pop pop poppop pop poppopop" boggled I pull over and as the engine speed slows down it tapered off to silence, so I gave it a quick blast of gas and again with the popping sound so I figured there must be some kind of leak in the exhuast where they put the new CAT in, whatever I go home and park it for the night. Get up this morning and drive to work; however this time nothing as far as I could hear at all.

The weirdest part of it all is there was no issue at all when it went into the shop and all they did was weld in a new CAT. I am a little boggled as to what it could be if anything, I know these trucks are known to spit unburnt fuel into the exhaust on occaison but would this cause a problem like this.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
brihno360
Amateur

maybe a nut or piece of scrap metal got in the pipe...?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 PM
ne14t
Rookie

I could see some welding maybe blowing into it, I think it a leak though I had a minute to crawl under the truck and see what kind of job they did on installing it and it looks like the CAT is only tacked in, I saw a couple gaps where exhaust gas could come sputtering out, gunna check with it running next, hopefully thats it.

Quick Reply: So....