1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

running hot, help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 PM
oldmantruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running hot, help?

so, heres the story--when normal driving, truck runs perfect, right in temp range, nothing odd, radiator was corroded and overall crappy, so i put in a brand new one, also moved the aftermarket trans cooler up on the radiatir to the top instead of in the middle, and installed an electric fan with temp switch, all works great, however when i put on the plow(factory 6" meyers) no matter how i angle the plow it still runs warm after driving anything over 7-8 miles at normal speeds(say 40mph) if im plowing a driveway or whatever or idling it cools right off. im thinking the fan clutch is wornout? also thinking i might toss a couple vents on the hood so that when traveling with the plow up the air that the hot air has a way to escape from under the hood(worked on my jeeps) any suggestions?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like your plow is too much of an air barrier. Can you hear your fan kick in at all?

I would say you might have a sticky thermostat but that should happen at any given time. You could also put a lower temp thermostat in.

Air vents would help so long as you dont end up filling the engine bay with snow. Aim the vents back?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:00 AM
Applehugger
Rookie

I would imagine the plow just blocks all the air. Drive with the plow down as low as you can put it. I doubt there's anything wrong your cooling system.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 AM
96magnumram
Professional

maybe a dumb question, but I am curious...is it a common deal to run both a mechanical fan AND an electric fan when running a plow? Is the electric fan mounted in front of the radiator? If so, is it running to where it is pulling air or pushing air?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 AM
festerw
Veteran

Replace your fan clutch, lower the plow straight as low as it will go, turn O/D off, run the heater a little higher and crack a window and put a deflector on your plow that will prove the most beneficial. Mine runs a little over the 1/2 mark on my 20ish mile trip to work at 55mph.

http://www.centralparts.com/Accessor...0-Meyer/10626/

Last edited by festerw; 01-30-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:59 AM
oldmantruck

Electric fan is in front of the radiator pushing air. Mechanical fan is pulling. Figured the more airflow the better

Quick Reply: running hot, help?