1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Broken and desperate

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 AM
helpless
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oxygen454, Yes, I have tried all the simple checks and all the complicated checks. I have complete wiring diagrams and have studied for weeks. Engine turns over but will not start. Fuel pump works but injectors and ign. coil have no fire. No CEL or gen. light. Borrowed a scanner and it will not read. If I ever find the bad connection or ground that will kick the CEL on,, I'm sure the truck will start. Problem is, I have run out of things to check.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM
jnjinfla
Rookie

I had exactly the same issues with my 92 after a complete rebuild. I finally realized that I inadvertantly put my distributor in 180 off and had to set my fuel sync. I would check your fuel sync. I think there is a write up here on how to do it. If not do an internet search. You will find the write up.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with jnjinfa. Check your distributor and wiring to the plugs as well as fuel sync. (side note, I have seen lots of diagrams which show wiring for the plugs which was wrong)

Im guessing you checked power to the bulb sockets? Bad CEL socket or bulb?

Im wondering if you actually have two different problems.

Does the truck backfire or just turn and turn with no start or any other symptoms / noises?

I find it odd that your pcm is not reading through the scanner or not connecting with the computer?

Did you try pouring fuel down its throat to see if it will run off that?

Last edited by oxygen454; 02-15-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 AM
dale2themax

I had the same problem on my 92 dakota. It would shut down at any given time when you would try to refire the engine there was no engine light coming on when the switch was turned to the run position. The truck had to sit for a while before it would refire, but eventually it would shut down again. I had replaced all tune parts, sensors,fuel pump,pcm repaired all grounds and splices. the fact that you dont have the engine light when the switch is turned to run means that the pcm is not grounded. The 60 pin connector at the pcm has 2 grounds at terminal 11 and 12 if you follow these two wires they will come to a splice that is hidden in the harness. You need to resplice this ground so that the pcm will get a good ground, then after repair you should be able to see the engine light come on when you turn the key. Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 AM
big boy

i agree with Dale . thats the one i was talking about HARD TO FIND!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
89newbie
Captain

So where are we on this one? My guess its cool down time or fixed. ( Cool down time = the 5 gallons of fuel in the bed and the blow torch that is the tempted next step)

Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
helpless

Many more days of searching and testing circuits. Failure, complete failure. I have found a garage who has the reputation of being the best in this area for this type of problem. $100 per hour. The truck is not worth much but a truck that does not run is worthless. Too much time invested to give up. Will bite the bullet and tow truck to his shop next week. Will post reults when he finishes diagnosis. Want to hear something funny? My brother bought this truck new and when it broke down he said , enough is enough and was going to call a wrecking yard to haul it off. I said, don't do that, I will go get it and haul it home. I did and now this "free" truck has driven me crazy and soon to be bankrupt. Next time someone offers to give me something,, I will decline.

Quick Reply: Broken and desperate