1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

4x4 Light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
dodgeboy48@yahoo.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Light stays on

hello i have a 1991 dodge dakota 5.2 4x4 we have been recently been getting hammered with snow where i live so i have been using the 4wd sum well i am having a problem with the damn indicator light not going off i will engage 4wd it engages and when im done i disengage it but the light stays on sometimes have to playing with it shifting it in and out of 4wd a few times it goes off or if i drive for about 150 miles it goes off but uselly its just stuck on and i pulled the switch for it out the other day and it wasnt sticking i had my buddy push the button a few times while i was in the cab and i flashed as he pushed it so am i disengaging it improperly or is something not part of my control not disengagaing please let me know i have about had it with this thing im about ready to pull the bulb out and solve the problem once and for all Thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The switch is probably sticking. I believe on pre 93 it is on the front axle, not 100% though. The rest is on the transfer case, left side near the top.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Den37
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 91 Dak 4x4 with the stock axles.The switch is on the front axle CAD housing.

Are you sure your front axle is disegaging?My CAD(Central Axle Disconnect) is vacuum operated and sticks sometimes when it gets cold.

If you can turn tightly on dry pavement while the light is on without hearing tires scuffing or resistance in the steering,your front axle is disegaged and it's your light switch that's sticking.Otherwise the vacuum actuator is sticking and your front axle is engaged.(the light switch works off the vacuum actuator on the CAD)

Quick Reply: 4x4 Light stays on