1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Water Pump Threaded Heater Port

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
BlackKimera
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Threaded Heater Port

I have a 1992 Dakota but the Engine is a 1994 Dodge 5.9L 360 v8. I'm replacing the water pump but the one the parts store gave me does not have a threaded heater port when the one on it did. Did I get the wrong pump? I search online and can't find one that has the threaded heater port.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My old, and NAPA replacement, water pumps do NOT have threaded heater ports.

HOWEVER, if the replacement water pump is otherwise the same (ie, size, bolt hole location, etc), I'd just see if a regular pipe thread fitting would thread in there.
You can get a fitting that goes from pipe thread to hose barb, and you're set. Just make sure to use teflon tape (PTFE tape) on the threads, and a hose clamp over the hose.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
BlackKimera

My Dad picked up a "Water Pump Inlet Tube" and said that is supposed to be the part, I guess I will see when I get there tonight. We don't have a shop at our house...or even a garage so we have to go to my grandpas and ended up leaving it there last night but hopefully we can get her done tonight.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 AM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new pumps don't have the threaded port. The "updated" design went to the pipe that just slips in with an o-ring to seal it. Not the greatest idea in my mind. So yeah, the inlet pipe is the additional part you need. I had the same question when I replaced my '92s water pump the first time around.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
BlackKimera

Yeah it's just stupid that they wouldn't make a note of that anywhere on it. And it's also a pain that the part is separate, why? Oh well, she's up and running for now but I'm thinking I might have to put my baby away while I'm in college and get a car D= !

Quick Reply: Water Pump Threaded Heater Port