1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

hard starting/stalling driving me nuts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
oldmantruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard starting/stalling driving me nuts!!!

so this truck is getting annoying now. 1990 3.9 auto trans 4x4, when its cold it takes awhile to start,cranks a good 30 seconds before it starts. when its warm its usually more like 10 seconds or so. when driving along it will randomly cut out. rpm to 0, motor off, sometimes itll fire itself back up a second or 2 later, other times i have to turn the key off and then it cranks and cranks and eventually starts again. also sometimes it will seem like its going to cut out then loud *** backfire and keep on running---so far its got the following new--plugs wires cap rotor ignition coil tps fuel filter, also dumped injector cleaned in the gas tank. any ideas? this is getting really annoying and its way too damn cold to be outside messing with it!!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 PM
festerw
Veteran

Check this thread for the cutting out problem
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1678925

and this one for the hard starting
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ting-help.html

Old 02-11-2011, 08:29 PM
oldmantruck

its a 90, it dosnt have that fusebox or that splice, and the only 2 relays i have are fuel pump and ac clutch. as far as i can find there is no asd relay on my truck? any idea?!?!?!?!

Quick Reply: hard starting/stalling driving me nuts!!!