1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dana 44 Solid Axle Swap. Tons of pics. Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is the build thread. I will lock this thread to keep all the posts in order.
Here is the discussion thread of the swap. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post2433707

I got the Zero Rate Add A Leaf installed. I REALLY HATE blocks, but in this case I have little choice. At least it is only 1in tall and solid steel and not aluminum, or hollow steel.

The Zero Rate has 3 holes 1 for the axle hole to line up the axle, then 2 for 1in and 1.5in offset for the leaf spring to be bolted to.

Here it is installed.

Here is the offset hole for the top bolt.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 04-22-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I finished up on some loose ends today.

I cut off the mount for the drop flex rear brake line, and welded it lower.

I made a drop bracket for the Emergency brake cable.

I finally hooked up the front driveshaft. It is my stock Dakota driveshaft. I removed the slip seal and bought a shock boot to cover the splines. At the yoke I just had to SLIGHTLY open up the U-Joint socket to fit the Dakota larger U-Joint. It fit nice and tight and will stay in perfect. The driveshaft fits in perfect with enough slip in and out even at full suspension drop.

Here is the Transfercase skid plate, I just shifted it over to clear the driveshaft. Also the Transmission oil pan skid plate that I made, also shifted over for clearance.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-19-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Now to some bad news. The driver side spring is starting to sag bad. That is what I get for getting junkyard springs. I will need to buy some Add A Leafs to pick it up. Passenger side has a good arch to it. Driver side is flat and in some angles looks a little inverted, LOL.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-19-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

So I am waiting for the Crossover steering knuckle to become available. Until then all I got is small stuff.

I picked up 2 side steps at a swap meet for $10. I want Nerf bars with the step, but these will do till then. I had both until I ripped off the driver side rock crawling at least 5 years ago, the passenger side has been on the entire time. Now I got both sides. They are universal fit just a little drilling and a few bolts and done.

I also routed the brake lines towards the center.

As a side note, I got the add a leaf installed on the driver side front leaf pack since it was sagging bad. I had to rebuild that pack mostly with new leafs from a Durango that I got from the junkyard for $20.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 02-21-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I got my High Steer/Crossover steering knuckle from http://www.partsmike.com/store/store...on=show_detail

I got New ball joints from Napa, and reused my hub studs. Here are the install pics, the High steer arm clears the leaf springs easy. If I would of got a flat top knuckle I don't believe they would have cleared. I'm happy with these. The arm at the draglink joint is 1in thick, 2in at the base of the knuckle. Extremely strong!

Here is the PartsMike Dana 44 High Steer/Crossover steering installed.

Here is the stock Dana 44 knuckle.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Here is the Drag link bar connected to the Pitman arm and the Crossover knuckle. As you can see at Normal ride height the drag link is near vertical which reduces drag and bump steer. Also at full suspension extension the link doesn't bind, didn't need the High Misalignment adapters or the reducer spacers. Grade 8 3/4in bolts. The tubing is DOM 1.25OD .125 wall.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Well I’ve been driving the truck for about 2 months a couple days a week. Due to needing a 2nd vehicle I rushed into driving it regularly before I was completely done. And she drives great and offroads like a dream, the little I have done so far anyways. But since it wasn’t complete I didn’t drive it hard or even post up pics or videos.

I didn’t fix up the shocks the way I wanted to, I’ve been basically driving without any. In the front I temporally used new air shocks I bought for $10 at a swap meet. But they didn’t last, the driver side shock was destroyed due to the super huge crossover knuckle ran it to it and tore it up. Since it tore it up both sides lost all the air. Out back I still used my air shocks I had for the truck but now they were to short so I had to make a bracket to connect it all, but I did it in a hurry and it was not what I wanted. What made it worse I never aired the shocks up, I don’t know why.

So in front I bought some ProComp ES9000 shocks from 4WD Parts $40 each. The driver side fit just fine into my previously made mounts, but with the passenger side I had to make new lower mount and weld it on to the axle to shift the shock out of the knuckles path.

Passenger side with new lower mount.

Driver side.

For the rears I bought Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusters/Coil Overs from Napa for $135 for the pair. I dug through Napa Online to find one that will match my needs. It turns out 1988-99 Chevy trucks uses these shocks with the same top mounts. They are one of the longest versions I could find. So all I had to do is make new brackets on top of the axle and get it welded in. (If your wondering about the wrap on the exhaust pipe, it is there to protect my spare tire from melting on the pipe, since I use a full size 33in it touches the pipe.)

The other problem was I was getting BAD steer bump. Anytime I hit a speed bump or something similar the steering wheel will go crazy due to drag link directly connected to the steering knuckle. From what I have found is that a track bar will help keep the pressure off of the draglink during bumps. The stock Jeep Grand Wagoneer axle I got came with a track bar. So all I had to do is mount up some brackets to match my frame and to the axle. See the pics below.

See the discussion thread for a few more pics and a video. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-thread-5.html

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-19-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Well I finished the last 2 projects I wanted, 1 was to make a bracket to connect the the motor mounts together where the front axle used to be. Next was the steering dampener shock.

I made a bracket to connect the motor mounts together. 1x2in 1/4 tubing.

I cut and extended the stock dampener mount.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-19-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

This is the Build Thread. To view and comment on the Discussion Thread go Here, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post2433707

I mount up my new shock mounts. I cut up the mounts that came with the stock Jeep GW Axle. I mounted them sideways and added gussets on the side of the frame.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-18-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I edited all the previous posts to show the current work and delete the modified stuff. Since I'm done with the swap I will unlock this thread, feel free to post up on it.

Today I headed out with my friend in his 04 TJ to some trails.

Here he got stuck in a deep clay mud pit. I used my winch to pull him out, it worked perfectly. The only problem was it was just dragging me with full brakes, I had to shove some large bricks in front of my tires to keep the truck stable. I think I got some videos I will post up tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Dana 44 Solid Axle Swap. Tons of pics. Build thread