1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel pump buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:35 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump buying questions

I'm needing to replace several items in the fuel system and I have a few questions. First, my fuel gauge isn't reading properly and I've read online it's a common problem with these trucks. Is the fuel sending unit for this located inside of the fuel pump housing?

I'm also needing to replce the fuel pump because, at times, the truck will start to act like it's running out of fuel and start to chug and sputter. So I'm replacing the fuel pump and the fuel filter. Before I go and spend $200 on the wrong part, I have a question: What are the differenced between the pumps "with returnless fuel system" and "without returnless fuel system"? I'm referring to the Denso model 9536006 and 9536000.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The gauge float is on the side of the housing. If you want a picture go to www.autozone.com and look up the fuel pump. It comes as 1 piece, you get everything you need including the gauge float.

As for which pump you need depends on what year your truck is. If I remember right 93-down has a return system. 94-up is return less.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
As for which pump you need depends on what year your truck is. If I remember right 93-down has a return system. 94-up is return less.
Okay, as mine is a 1994 I'd need the returnless. What is this return system anyway? Just fuel that makes it to the engine but doesn't get used so it returns to the tank?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
kahanabob
Captain

how you going to attack the job. remove the bed or remove the tank? most seem to think removing the bed is the way to go.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 AM
DupermanDave
Rookie

Originally Posted by kahanabob
how you going to attack the job. remove the bed or remove the tank? most seem to think removing the bed is the way to go.
I was thinking aout removing the bed, but I may need my dad or my brother's help with that and they may not be available at the time. Depends on my schedule, but I'm going to try to get the bed off to do it.

-edit-
I'm looking at the service manual and I see a "fuel return tube". Is this the same as the "return/returnless" setup? If so, I should be able to get under the truck and check how many hoses are going to the fuel tank.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 03-09-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

mine is a return system on the 89. this means excess fuel will return to the tank. the limiter on the throttlebody only allows x amount of pressure in it. any extra is sent back to the tank.
i don`t know to much about the new systems but i would guess everything is under high pressure in a multi-port injection system.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump buying questions