1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

no oil pressure on hills

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no oil pressure on hills

I took the truck out for a test in the mountain foothills, and it did well, except towards the end when the wife noticed the oil light was on and then I saw the oil pressure gauge was pinned to 0. I parked the truck, took a look at the oil and transmission levels and they're all full.

My only guess is the steep hills, which we were going down one at the time, could cause the oil to slosh around and away from the oil pressure sensor. Could this be it? Or could there be a more serious problem lurking about? Could there have been any damage done since the pressure read zero, but the oil pan is full of oil?

-edit-
I'm looking into replacing the oil sender switch to eliminate this as a cause for the drop in oil pressure. I've been checking the FSM and my Haynes manual and I can't find any diagrams showing where the oil pressure sender is. Where is it located on the v6 engines?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 03-13-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is located near the rear of the engine to the left of the distributer. Look at the part on www.autozone.com to see what is looks like.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:04 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
It is located near the rear of the engine to the left of the distributer. Look at the part on www.autozone.com to see what is looks like.
I took a quick peek under the hood and couldnt see anything, so it's probably burried below all of the wires and dried out wire covers. By left, do you mean left sa you're looking at the engine (passenger side) or if you're sitting in the car? I checked both, but didn't see much. I'll check again when I'm not so scared. I'm worried I'll cook my arm into a steak when I reach in to move things.

Do you think it's a sensor glitch because of the hills or could the oil have indeed sloshed and emptied out of the engine and could there be damage?

-edit-
Engine cooled down enough and I took another look. Is the sender unit between the EGR and the distributor facing downward?

I'm obviously going to need a deep socket to get to it. Does anyone know what size it is? (I'll need to buy one, but don't want to make 3 trips to the store like I did with the subaru.)

Last edited by DupermanDave; 03-14-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: no oil pressure on hills