1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 3.6 Dakota Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Proaudio150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 3.6 Dakota Starting Issue

This is a VERY intermittent issue. Seems no rhyme or reason when it happens other then seems to happen more often when its raining or there is more moisture in the air. The truck will either not start or die while running and may or... may not start up right away. Also there seems to be no spark when this happens.

The plugs, wires, cap, rotor and pickup coil have all been replaced. Have been told it also might be the crankshaft position sensor or the ECM.

Not sure what will do. Dealer said probably around 2 hour diagnostic time...at $80 an hour. As I read it looks like crankshaft sensor could cause the issue....but then again so did the Pickup coil and I am sure the ECM could be also. No codes being thrown up.

So I am kinda stuck with either bring it to the dealer and hope to get a good answer at the end of the dianostic time. Also could replace the Crank sensor since its cheap enough.

Where would you go from here?

P.S. New to the forum...hope to get good advice here and become more active.

----Update---

Well went to retrieve the truck this morning and still no start. It does looked like it rained last night and a good deal moisture in the air. Have to wait till this afternoon to trouble shoot or better yet have it towed to the dealer.

Still would love advice to get it started....even if only long enough to have it towed to dealer...saves the tow bill... Tks

Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of possibilities. One is the notorious splices, there are 3 just below the power distribution box under the hood on the drivers inner fender.

Check the FAQ in this section for a write up on it with pictures. Just a few posts above this one.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 03-16-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Proaudio150

Got a friend coming over this here in a few hours said he can check it out.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Gomezz
Default The Crank Angle

That would be a possibilty is the crank angle also check the wire connector. The question I have is do you have fire coming from the coil when this happens. If not then that may be the problem if the wiring looks good. The water may be causing it to ground out when your driving in rain. The problems I have had with the crank angle is that it seems to run fine and then no fire. If you plan on replacing it the allen head screw will take about a 2 inch allen wrench to reach on a socket. I had to drimal a allen wrench and add a socket to the end with a extention. Not Craftm*n or snap, but it works like a champ. Hope this helps

Last edited by Gomezz; 03-16-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Proaudio150

Well thought would update the post. Noticed when it was not starting no check engine light light up. Had a friend check out the wiring a tad. He could not get it to die from "messing" with the wires. He also checked the junction mentioned in this post. In addition I found a used ECM at the local junk yard on the same year truck..only one I could find in the area. Cost $25....plugged it up..fired right up and I almost want to say it ran better.

Going on the 3rd day with no issues. Tks for the advice all...

Quick Reply: 93 3.6 Dakota Starting Issue