1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

remove backseat padding

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
DakotaDiana
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remove backseat padding

Well in the backseat there is like some sort of padding,the things you rest your back on..but how do i remove them?

The one in the middle,the straight one is bendable but i dont know how it is fastned..

Then the side ones..are they with clips?

Also on the door panels there is patches with the same fabric as the seats,,i bended it a little but the clips broke..is there a special way to remove them?
and where can i find those clips?

Sorry if my spelling or writing is bad,be patient with me in from sweden so english is not my main language...

Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
festerw
Veteran

There is a vinyl piece directly under the rear window that has to be removed 1st it just pulls off. Then there will be 4 screws to remove on the fabric piece pull it out slightly and the push down.

On the doors you'll likely have to remove the whole door panel, should be two screws in the arm rest, one by the mirror and you'll have to slide out the piece behind the handle, unscrew the door lock on top, then remove either the window crank or the power window/lock switch.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

When you have the door panel loose you might have to lift up a bit on it from the bottom. Curious to know what are your plans, are you going to reupholster yourself?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Bump
Veteran

Last time I had my door panel off, I was replacing the clip that allows you to open the door from the outside. I went to O'Reilly's and they had what I needed along with tons of other misc clips in stock. (to my surprise) I'd start there. The door panel comes off with a couple visible screws and the rest are straight push in clips. Need to take the window-roller-upper-downer off if you have manual windows. There is a little "C" clip holding that on.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 AM
DakotaDiana
Amateur

Originally Posted by dobaroy
When you have the door panel loose you might have to lift up a bit on it from the bottom. Curious to know what are your plans, are you going to reupholster yourself?

yes im going to reupholster the backseat stuff myself..it seems simple..
i hate the nasty grey fabric.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Bump
Veteran

What are you going to do with the front seats? Covers?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
DakotaDiana
Amateur

Originally Posted by Bump
What are you going to do with the front seats? Covers?
I would like to reupholster them too but i havent done that before..since the fabric is made in "pieces" on the front seats it in thought atleast dosnt seem too hard to maybe replace some of the pieces to some kind of leather or whatever since everyting looks better than that nasty fabric.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Bump
Veteran

I was at the savage yard last weekend and found an R/T durango. Those seats gave me some ideas of the inserts you are talking about. Make the stock seats look much better!

Stock leather that I have:

R/T package:

Notice the color change on the side door panels too. I am tempted to swap these seats into my durango. The inserts are like a felt cloth material with R/T embroidered into the front seats.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM
DakotaDiana
Amateur

thats exactly how i planned..to exchange some of the edge crap into some type of leather.. i really cant afford to have them done professionally so exchanging some parts should be easy..if first remove them and the cut out exact replicas of the leather and put back..it should be good...

i would also like to paint the door panels black and then change the fabrics on them to black alcantra or similar..

i have black alcantra/mocca type material that im gonna use on the roof and the sun thingys.. i just haaaate that nasty grey roof lining..

Quick Reply: remove backseat padding