1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

header leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:27 PM
matt0852
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header leak

ok guys this might be a long one. I bought pacesetter headers from summit, first mistake, and they are pretty horrible. The driver's side one leaks terribly and all i get is a tick noise under acceleration. I believe it's warped and not seated right, any suggestions? i was told double gaskets. Also I want to do something different with my exhaust. I want to replace the stocky pipe( it's pretty banged up and bent) with a walker one. Any feedback? and Also i want to make get a dual kit from ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-96...Q5fAccessories ) Pretty much replace all pipes. Only problem is i don't know the name of the small pipe between the y and the cat and the name of the pipe between the cat and the muffler. A pipe is included with the kit but will it be long enough? Thanks for any help in advanced.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Send it back, get a replacement if needed.

Most likely they didn't do a good job on grinding down the welds on the flange. Get a straight edge and see where the high spots are and grind it down.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:37 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I may speak against your exhaust system..... The Flowmaster series muffler gains will not merit the annoyance of the cab drone. The 40 series mufflers produce a resonance around 2400 rpm's and are quite irritating. As far as the pipes that you referenced, they are not mandrel bent so you will be getting a little better torque at the cost of horsepower, both of which will ultimately suffer compared to a proper system. I assume that your engine is using a stock cam so no meaningful gains unless the entire system is looked at. Also, the tubing is galvanized steel, so rust will begin setting in the first time you shut off your engine. The "extension pipes" are between the cat and the y-pipe/muffler. I have owned 2 different flowmaster series muffler's and both had cabin drone (one of them were in fact a 40 series), and that annoyance has led me to appreciate Magnaflow, Gibson, Cherry Bomb, and Thrush mufflers more than Flowmasters. I agree with the aforementioned issue with the headers, being that if they are not straight and flat, then your fighting a losing battle. On a side note, if the steel is tempered differently at different areas (welding method, welding style, steel stock, etc), that will lead to flexing as well. In closing, I would recommend that you save the $200 and add to it over time to purchase a proper stainless steel, mandrel bent system. Also, the Walker Y-pipe is not a good design based on the steel used and the bending method.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 PM
jagsweb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've dealt with Pacesetter before and they are a good company, your products have a good warranty I am sure and they can probably go over the installation details with you to make sure everything was installed correctly

Quick Reply: header leak