1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 dakota 3.9 stalling and wont start right away

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Buellstunter
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 dakota 3.9 stalling and wont start right away

1st time posting in this section. my old dakota treats me pretty well. In the past week however I am having a stalling and occ. starting issue. I've replaced the fuel pump and the ignition coil. I believe the Crank position sensor is on the fritz. but need some input. I scanned the computer today cause the CEL came on. shut the truck off and re-started and the light went out. Scanned it anyway and had 2 codes. One was a PO403 which was also a 032? and also had a 011 code. which was ignition referance signal. Anyone have any thoughts? Are the dakotas like the rams as in the Crank positon sensor works the ignition and the Cam position sensor does the fuel timing? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The engine is the same as the Rams and 3.9 V6 is the same as the 5.2 just -2 cly.

Sounds like your timing chain is over stretched.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-96-codes.html

11** Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more from initial learned value, Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking

32** EGR Solenoid circuit short or open condition detected

43** Multiple/ single cylinder misfire

Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Buellstunter
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. Sounds like I should replace the timing chain then? Is it possible that a bad crank sensor would cause these issues as well?

Quick Reply: 1995 dakota 3.9 stalling and wont start right away