1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rear Brakes Won't Adjust

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Brakes Won't Adjust

So, I replaced my whole braking system.
Bled the brakes. Ok.
But the rear brakes just don't auto adjust.
The adjustment wheel is greased (the internal threads), and moves great when spinning by hand.
The adjustment lever "clicks" against the teeth of the star-wheel when spinning by hand to reduce shoe-to-drum clearance. (And the star-wheel will not spin backwards to increase shoe-to-drum clearance, without of course, moving the lever out of the way)

But with the drum actually installed, and doing the drive forward and coming to a complete stop, drive backwards and coming to a complete stop and redoing this many times (as told in the service manual), it just won't auto adjust.
Looking at it with the drum off and having a friend press on the brakes, it appears that the adjustment lever actually jumps off the teeth of the star-wheel (without moving it), and when releasing the brakes, comes back to normal (again, without moving the star-wheel)
I've tried slightly bending a lever, but this doesn't seem to have done anything.

I can still stop but there is a light feel in the brakes, you kind of have to press down farther than normal, and it doesn't feel very firm. Like I said, I've bleed the system.
Any pointers?

BTW, got an alignment done on her the other day. Shes on the road again! I can start using her, just have to fix the little things, one at a time!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In another thread lots of us said that the self adjusting systems never works on rear brakes. I know every now and then when I pull the rear tire I check the brakes and they are not properly adjusted. I think the system is inadequate.

Just tighten it up to get a good lose tight fit then your good to go.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:05 AM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the star wheels are side specific and are marked L&R on the inside end of the threaded piece. did you get them mixed up? will not work if on wrong side, having said that don't think they work well in any case.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes Won't Adjust