1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

trns q.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:08 PM
9652dakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trns q.

my question is does anyone else have a double bump going to frome park or neutral to drive then out of drive to anyother gear?
myne has this and it's like clockwork everytime. very regular.
i've had the pan off and it was spotless fluid was nice3 and red and bands wer ok.
i'm probbly not going to go after this since i have no other issues as i suspect it's pcm related (i know it has issues so i wouldn't be surprised if it's messing with the pressure sol and transducer wich are new by the way.)
just asking to see if anyone else has this.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You feel a double bump from the transmission or from the shifter?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:27 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

it's the trans. there is not doubt about it. no slack in the drive line either. like i said doesn't seem to be causing issues but me and two other guys (transmission techs) at work have taked it over and are thinking either valve body, pcm messing with gov pressure or rear clutchpack clearance and we seriusly doubt the clutch pack just because of the fact that the pan was so clean and that i have done some very very serius work with this truck and it has never slipped or gotten hot at all. even pulling up trees it never had any issues at all. part the reason i've not investigated it further is because if i pull that trans i will have another already built and ready for it. make a day job out of it saturday at work. not pull it build it then put it in. ill build one for it first. upgrades and all.
i can't justify that at this point in time because it has given me zero trouble. i've fealt it in other trucks before but nobody ever seemed concernd with it.
when i finally have time ill hook up the drb and my trans pressure gauges and see whats going on but i've had such little time as of late that it's not been possible.

until i chase it down though i just simply wait for it to engage (only about 1.5 seconds so not a big deal) then i let off the brake and go. that way i don't have worry about anything being partially engaged and breaking.
it is wierd though that it goes into reverse perfectly isn't it.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:33 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

im geussing that im only one on here whos got this problem lol.
well no biggie. it's tows and hauls like a 1500 so im happy.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 PM
dobaroy
Veteran

When you say upgrades and all, what extra would you add? Does your truck still have the 518 trans or is it the newer version?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

myne is the 46re. there are some updated valve body componets available for it.
right now i strongly suspect a broken or shrunken seal for my rear cluth piston. it fits the symptoms i just have to try to find time for a fluid pressure test.

i don't think it's anything incredibly pressing since it does not slip and has nice firm shifts.

Quick Reply: trns q.