1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

cleaning intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:13 AM
ddgdkt96
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning intake manifold

Hello all,
I recently got some great advice to use sea foam and some other stuff to run through my engine throttle body to clean her up abit.
it worked, but it feels like I can get more out of the engine, and I think that my whole intake needs a really good cleaning.

two questions: how many times can I run Sea Foam through my engine before it does not do anything?
and or, should I pull the intake manifold off to try and clean, or is the sea foam good enough to clean that.

Cool, thanks for you help in advance.

P

Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would guess it is okay to use it again, just put some miles in between the treatments. But I'm skeptical that you will see any more results than what you had already seen.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the "cleaners" are doing are removing carbon buildup around your intake and exhaust valves. There are alot of pictures online to show you how much carbon can build up on the top side of your valves. While there are other areas that develope "sludge" and other dry soot, the valve area has the greatest impact. Cleaning your intake will only help a little, but if you remove your heads and clean up the valves, it will be felt. As far as removing your intake to clean it, you could be advantageous and clean up the casting flaws, align the intake track with the heads, and modify it for your "needs". Be conservative with any grinding work.

Quick Reply: cleaning intake manifold