1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1992 Dodge Dakota v6 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Sashin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Dodge Dakota v6 won't turn over

Well I finally had time to get down to it and I removed the bed, and replaced the fuel pump along with a new fuel filter.

The car started for like a couple minutes prior to this before I turned it off, and wouldn't crank over.

After I installed the new fuel pump/filter, it still wouldn't start. The gas gauge works now though, and I can hear the fuel pump prime. It didn't make a sound before when it was dead.

I'm thinking it might be the PCM now? The black box on the passenger side I think. It makes a loud buzzing noise when I try to start it and keeps buzzing a high pitched noise for a while.

I took off the cover, and the wires look ok. They are not cut or corroded.

What you guys think? Also, got any recommendations on where to get the PCM if that might be it?

Also, how do you check the relays to see if they are bad? Also heard it might be the crankshaft position sensor. Would love to know how to check if that is bad as well.

Thanks for the help.

I feel like its something electronic now because even before I changed the fuel pump it would start and drive fine randomly then when I turned it off, it wouldn't start for months.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of possibilities. First check to see if you have any codes stored by the computer. The FAQ in this section has a how to and a list of the codes.

Next check for spark. Then check for proper fuel pressure at the fuel rails.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 AM
sailorman47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 94 Dakota 2x4 with a 3.9. Recently my engine started running funny and would cut out at odd times. Sometimes I would be going around a corner and it would just die. Thought the fuel pump was bad. Had good pressure at fuel rail. Replaced IAC since it was bad. Still no start. Replaced the cam position sensor in the distributor and it started and ran for a few minutes then died. Had the ignition coil tested and it was bad. Replaced with new one and still could not get it to start. Traced the wiring back to the cam sensor and found out the bad ignition coil had fried the cam sensor. Put the old cam sensor back in and it started right up. Haven't had any problems since then.

Quick Reply: 1992 Dodge Dakota v6 won't turn over