1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Axil change out???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 AM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axil change out???

O.K. guys, gave upAlldata so I have a question. Is the rear axil held in only by the bolts at the hub or are there C clips at the Differential to unlock the axil? I sure hope its only 4 bolts that way its a simple fix.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our factory axles are semi-floating axles, so there are clips holding the axle shafts to the differential.

There are 2 types of rear axles... semi-floating and full-floating. Semi-floating axles have clips at the differential to keep the axle shafts in place and the axle shaft has to hold the weight of the truck. Full-floating axles have spindles/hubs at the wheel end of the axle and use bolts to hold the axle shaft to the hubs. On full-floating axles the weight of the truck is held by the spindle/hub assembly and the axle shaft is only responsible for handling torque. Full-floating axles are only found in heavy-duty full size pickups and larger trucks. Semi-floating axles are found in light duty half tons and lighter trucks.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 AM
89newbie
Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Our factory axles are semi-floating axles, so there are clips holding the axle shafts to the differential.

There are 2 types of rear axles... semi-floating and full-floating. Semi-floating axles have clips at the differential to keep the axle shafts in place and the axle shaft has to hold the weight of the truck. Full-floating axles have spindles/hubs at the wheel end of the axle and use bolts to hold the axle shaft to the hubs. On full-floating axles the weight of the truck is held by the spindle/hub assembly and the axle shaft is only responsible for handling torque. Full-floating axles are only found in heavy-duty full size pickups and larger trucks. Semi-floating axles are found in light duty half tons and lighter trucks.
Thanks, since it was only a trace seal leak but there, I elected to finish the brakes and forgo it for now. I can better spend my time checking all else since im changing states and inspection is imminent.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Brand
Professional

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Semi-floating axles have clips at the differential to keep the axle shafts in place and the axle shaft has to hold the weight of the truck.
You're correct that semi-floaters support the weight of the truck. Not ALL semi-floaters use C-clips, however. That part of your response is incorrect. There are other ways of retaining the axle shafts in semi-floating rear axles.

OUR semi-floaters do use C-clips, though.

Quick Reply: Axil change out???