1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Im lost on this issue HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM
DakotaX2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im lost on this issue HELP!!

Ok. yesterday I had to get my 1994 318 4x4 automatic towed home.
No start, no fuel. I was at a Wal-mart so I had them take it home. Thanks to ERS from my RV...no cost. Today, I checked for fuel, and with 137k on the OE pump that I didnt hear, and I did a swap on the relays, I went and bought a new fuel pump and installed it. And now still no start. NO POWER TO PUMP. So I went a little deeper as I should have done before the fuel pump trip. I also have no spark, no check engine light when key on. I checked the wires under the relay box for ant corrsion, none. Cleaned the grounds, also the one by the PS. I am lost on this one. I have searched all over the interenet, so I am asking here.
Would the computer be out , hint no check engine light? I thought if no light the computer is not powered up. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help anyone can give. These type of things drive me crazy.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the notorious splice. There are 3 of them. Since your not getting power to the computer and the pump it sounds like the problem. Check for power at the feed for the pump and ASD relay.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:11 PM
DakotaX2

When you say autoshutdown and pump feed, I checked voltage where the relays plug in, I get a -12.6 volts. Not a positive. Splice? is that the pink and red wires more or less under the washer jug? The grounds where the 3 are spliced together look fine. No green or anything on any of the wires. Things look good. I tried swapping the relays. I guess the ASD, Fuel pump and starter, AC are all the same. I tried them in all areas. Nothing. I have no spark, been trying everything. I must have a great battery, tried starting it off and on all day, and I still have 12.6 volts....lol
As for the splices, on pink and red, I will crack them open if that is what you are saying ....thanks

Old 05-13-2011, 08:24 PM
DakotaX2

Found it. thanks Crazy. It was what you said. Thanks a bunch man.........

Old 05-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool! I'm glad you got it going.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 AM
DakotaX2

I opend up that area with the tape below the relay box, and things look good. After you pointed out the color, I went back and tore the rest of the tape off, and the splice looked good. Grabbed it and in came apart. That was it. I ended up putting a new pump in which maybe preventative maint......lol
thanks again, I know I was on my last nerve on that one. Worked all day trying to get a solution. I hate to give up and take it to a shop, it feels like you lost a war, ya know? Found it here, thanks again.

Quick Reply: Im lost on this issue HELP!!