1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Old Kota found fountain of youth

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As for starters, it all should be swappable in between the Magnum motors, V6 and Both V8's. Possibly as well as the LA's and I think the Big Block engines may all be interchangeable. I'm am basing that on the Mopar High Performance starters they will fit all engines.

You can double check at www.Autozone.com and see if the part numbers are the same.

Yes most of the engine parts are the same.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 PM
capricorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter then on to Radiator

Got it about the starter. When you went to the 5.2 to the 5.9 you had no problem or you just used the starter that came with the 5.9 if you had it. That is what I did converting to the 5.2 from the 3.9 but I know the cost of those starters and would have kept the 3.9 starter if it would have fit, though I can't remember what the difference was, it wouldn't work. May have been the difference in model, (90, 3.9 vs. 92, 5.2). I don't have that luxury this time. I have a 96, 5.9 but I'll be checking before I get to that bridge.

Now, you said somewhere you had a different radiator and I'm sure I'll probably need more cool for my swap. I think you said a three flue? I know the 'Be Cool' aluminum radiators are high dollar stuff, is that what you have? I don't mind going with the aluminum high dollar stuff if it's more practical but can I use the original fan, clutch and shroud with it? I don't want an electric fan unless I need it to boost for the A/C as a pusher during idle.

Surely more questions to come, sorry for racking your brain so hard but nobody else is talking so; YOU THE MAN. I really appreciate that you respond each time too...Dennis

Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a Mopar High Torque mini starter when I had my 5.2, so I just used that on the 5.9.

At the moment I want to say yes 3 core, but it might be my TA that was 3. But I did get it from my local radiator shop who special ordered it and it was better than stock style.

Quick Reply: Old Kota found fountain of youth