1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Old Kota found fountain of youth

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 PM
capricorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Kota found fountain of youth

http://dodgefhttps://dodgeforum.com/...1&d=1305501474

I purchased my Kota brand new in July, 1990, it started out with a 3.9 Liter, throttle body injected, manual 5 speed dog, though a very reliable dog. Two years ago I found a 1992 Dakota, 5.2, auto. the thing was full of rust, interior shot and had coolant leaks but ran great, everything worked, cruise, ac. I bought it as a donor thinking it would be a snap to swap the drive line into my 90. Everything went smooth till I got to the radiator and found I didn't have enough room for the cooling fan, not even an electric one. What a panic that was. I had to do some very careful measuring and found I had just enough room on the front of the frame to cut new holes for the radiator support from the donor truck. I was only slightly disappointed, I thought I would be able to use my sealed beam headlamps. The biggest deal about the swap other than that was swapping the entire wire harness and having a custom drive shaft made. I wasn't happy with the 3.55 rear gear so I bought a 3.9 and this was a change for the good, and even got better mileage except on the interstate.

Now I will progress on to a 5.9 rebuild that I plan on documenting for all of you and I hope you folks can help me as I go. I have big plans to stroke this into a 408ci and will need to get an after market PCM of some sort since I know my stock unit will never handle the power gains I have planned.

I am still in the cleaning stages with the engine I've found, (from a 1996 Ram), and I'm wondering about motor mounts. I understand that the left side is different from the one on the 5.2. Where can I find out about that?

More to come.

Attached Thumbnails Old Kota found fountain of youth-dsc00719.jpg   Old Kota found fountain of youth-dsc00694.jpg   Old Kota found fountain of youth-dsc00690.jpg  

Last edited by capricorn; 05-19-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks damn good.

The 5.2 Magnum and 5.9 Magnum are EXACTLY the same externally. The 5.9 will drop right in with stock setup that the 5.2 had.

Lets see some engine shots.

The link you posted at the top doesn't work.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 AM
ddgdkt96
Professional

that is a sweet looking ride. makes me want to wash my truck with my tears.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:04 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by ddgdkt96
that is a sweet looking ride. makes me want to wash my truck with my tears.
Lmao +1 man

Old 05-16-2011, 08:23 PM
capricorn

Thanks CrazyR/T, I didn't think it looked so different as far motor mounts but I keep hearing the left side is different. I'll take down a couple of the attached pictures and show some engine shots later, the site will only allow 5 attachments but it's just a black engine compartment with a stock motor, no big deal chrome or nothing. I've done that before and it didn't do as well as the stock stuff. It gets dirty in a hurry too. What brand headers are you running? I want something coated or SS that I can bolt in without changing the stock exhaust crossover. What about the EGR, how hard is that to do away with w/o a check engine light?

Last edited by capricorn; 05-16-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I got FlowTech, you can see it in my signature picture. They fit into stock pipes and EGR hookup. Most direct fit shorty headers will fit stock pipes and look that it has EGR hookup. www.summitracing.com

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 05-16-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

seriously, i do not understand why people have a problem with putting a 318 rad (or engine) into a 87-91 dak. they did it with the Shelby. everything fits but the electronics. i put a 318 alum rad in my 89 sport 4x4. the only mods i made where i cut a tab off the drivers side intake

Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 PM
capricorn

Hi again; I want to do away with the EGR because the headers and intake manifold I want do not support it, (for 96 and later). I'm sure there is a trick to that, doing away with it, without looking at a ck eng lamp. Maybe just hide the valve inside a fender well, HA, I'll figure it out and let you know but I think I'm going to use a FAST controller that is totally programmable with a lap top or PC.

You go mazda7475, try and drop that V8 into your pre 1991 Kota. It sits in there real pretty till you put the radiator in and discover you have about an inch to mount a fan, shroud, etc...I went to panic mode for a couple of days over that! Sure the 87 Shelby had a 318 but it had special engine mount hardware that's no longer available. I thought I would be able to keep my sealed beams on my 90 but if you look at the pictures you will see that I now have the aerodynamic front clip that IS NOT a simple bolt on!

Old 05-20-2011, 04:42 AM
89newbie
Captain

Super Dak!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 PM
capricorn
Default Starter?

I think of these things during the day so I have to just ask as I can. What about it Crazy4x4R/T or any other brave swapper, will the 5.2 starter work on the 5.9? I've heard a rumor it will not, then again I've heard everything is the same except for some of the short block engine parts, crankshaft, oil pan, and pistons, unless it's R/T stuff that will bolt up and probably work on the 5.2 just fine or even better, but is only factory installed on the 5.9.

Quick Reply: Old Kota found fountain of youth