1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

89 Dodge dakota transmission Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Bigjoker1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok if i go take a picture of the sticker can you tell me what transmission it has. There is a o/d button by the light switch i know it has overdrive. Never used it though.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 PM
xaenon

Originally Posted by Bigjoker1
ok if i go take a picture of the sticker can you tell me what transmission it has. There is a o/d button by the light switch i know it has overdrive. Never used it though.
If your truck has an O/D button, it was originally equipped with an A500, and it sounds like you were supplied an A998 or A999 (both of which are three-speeds) to replace it. Hence, fit issues with trans mount, yoke splines, and probably the cooler lines. I think the driveshaft is slightly longer with the overdrive trans, too. An A500 (also known as 42RH, if I remember correctly) from any '89-91 Dakota should work in your truck.

You can actually 'decode' the sticker yourself, because the information there is stated very plainly (no arcane codes or anything like that). The underhood sticker in my '88 spelled out exactly which transmission, axle type, and axle ratio my truck was equipped with, as well other selected bits of information. A998/A999 (yes, exactly like that), 8-1/4 axle, 2.94 ratio.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Bigjoker1
Amateur

Theese are the only stickers i got the one on the bottom of the hood and the one in the door and also here it is this is the overdrive button. also the driveshaft. sensors 2.

Last edited by Bigjoker1; 04-09-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:18 PM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

Originally Posted by xaenon
If your truck has an O/D button, it was originally equipped with an A500, and it sounds like you were supplied an A998 or A999 (both of which are three-speeds) to replace it. Hence, fit issues with trans mount, yoke splines, and probably the cooler lines. I think the driveshaft is slightly longer with the overdrive trans, too. An A500 (also known as 42RH, if I remember correctly) from any '89-91 Dakota should work in your truck.
Actually, the A500/518 transmissions were 6 inches longer than a A999/998/727 because it had the overdrive unit, therefore the driveshaft would be shorter on a 4 speed than a 3 speed

Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Bigjoker1
Amateur

well since we know its a o/d can anyone tell me what one it is that was on my vehical. Plus i need the same exact tranny because i dont want to have to mess with the mounts and weld stuff on. I know i messed up by selling the old one before i got a new one. But the old one was burnt up and there was a peice missing off of the bell housing it was gitting dirty because of it.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Bigjoker1
Amateur

also misfit never heard those quotes about dodges. Like it lol.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:47 AM
xaenon

Originally Posted by misfitdakota_95
Actually, the A500/518 transmissions were 6 inches longer than a A999/998/727 because it had the overdrive unit, therefore the driveshaft would be shorter on a 4 speed than a 3 speed
D'oh! Yes, you're right. I was kinda back-asswards on that, as you can see. It's what I get for working two shifts back-to-back and staying up too late afterwards. I kinda go brain-dead (er).

Bigjoker1, the sticker I'm referring to is much smaller, and (on mine anyway) should be located just behind/under the front edge of the hood on the driver's side. No diagrams or anything. It should have the VIN on it. I wish I still had mine, but it was falling off so I removed it for safekeeping - and then promptly lost it. Fortunately I have the data written down.

If it ain't there, no worries - the only thing you're after here is the type of trans, and it seems we've narrowed it down to the overdrive trans, which would have been an A500. The heavy-duty A518 didn't come along until Dodge started putting V8s in these things. The A998 and A999 slushboxes I spoke of in previous posts were 3-speed units (no overdrive).

Old 05-25-2011, 02:09 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

Originally Posted by Bigjoker1
well since we know its a o/d can anyone tell me what one it is that was on my vehical. Plus i need the same exact tranny because i dont want to have to mess with the mounts and weld stuff on. I know i messed up by selling the old one before i got a new one. But the old one was burnt up and there was a peice missing off of the bell housing it was gitting dirty because of it.
for a certainty, you have the A500 (also referred to as the 42RH) transmission. If in doubt, they came in most Dodge trucks up to 1995. In 1996, it became the 42RE, meaning it had electronic controls. Don't get a 1996-newer because it won't shift gears. Also, if you get a 1992-1995 transmission and you notice that there's a rounded cutout on the bellhousing, don't be alarmed, that's just for the crank sensor and it's still OK. I know I threw a lot at you, just wanted to make sure that you are properly informed.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Bigjoker1
Amateur

Well i dont wanna mess with the transmission mounts as in welding them and as for the driveshaft i want it to line in perfectly when i get it. Whats been happning when i been buyin theese transmissions is the driveshaft will not go in the transmission. Im not wanting to weld transmission mounts either which i do have the regular transmission mounts. also what i mean as them not going in is the teeth in the driveshaft yolk is different. Also i have the old three speed that doesn't even go to mine, and it was too short as you said because i got it out of a 87 dakota and it was the old three speed and as u stated it is shorter because the driveshaft wont even go to the end plus there were no sensors on it like the overdrive sensor and the speed sensor that i have in my pictures. But if you can tell me how or what i could do to save time i will do it or you could tell me where i can get one.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Bigjoker1
Amateur

and if anyone wants to buy a 87 dodge dakota transmission its been rebuilt ill sell for 300

Quick Reply: 89 Dodge dakota transmission Troubles