1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

SAS options

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 PM
CamoKota90
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAS options

i was wondering if anyone knew of vehicles that would have a solid front axle that would work good for a SAS. i know there are some people who have used a dana 44 out of a wagoneer that swapt pretty good, but not too many of those in the junk yards by me. i was wondering if there where any other good options. i wouldnt mind a dana 30 or 44 dont really matter, just need more front articulation. i am wanting to do leaf spings so that rules out all the broke down cherokees and grand cherokees, but would a front axle off of the older wranglers work, the ones with leafs in the front, i think its the yj.

if anyone know of any other axles off other trucks that would make a good swap i would greatly apreciate it. thanks

Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First it all depends on your plans for the truck. If all you want is more articulation then how much more. Coil springs can give more articulation. Are you going with large tires, rock crawling, mudding ect.

A Dana 30 or 35 will be equal to strength to our stock axles. The Dana 44 is best or bigger.

70's and 80's Jeep Grand Wagoneer and Jeep trucks are the same width as ours.

70's Fords Dana 44 are wider but is a common usage axle.

The FAQ2 has a list of SAS 1st Gens. Check them out see what they all used.

This site has tons of info on Dana 44. http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to everything Crazy said. But just to add one thing, if you want to go bigger than 33's, the dana 30 and 35 are out. You'll blow the carriers out of them on a regular basis.

Crazy is using a Jeep Grand Wagoneer dana 44 front axle and his stock rear axle with a set of lug pattern changing wheel spacers to make the two lug patterns match.

I'm using a 3/4 ton dana 44 out of a 1979 ford F250. It have several reasons for picking this axle over the narrower jeep axle. First, because I went with coil springs, I needed the extra width to compensate for how far they stick out from the frame. Leaf springs have a much narrower mounting width. So keep in mind that if you want to go with a coil setup, you need the full size axle, if you want to use leaf springs, its up to you what width. Second reason, with the height I'm going on my truck, I want the wheels further apart to compensate for the higher center of gravity... basically so it won't tip over as easy.

For my build, to match the 3/4 ton front dana 44, I got a 3/4 ton gm 14 bolt full floating rear axle.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Crazy is using a Jeep Grand Wagoneer dana 44 front axle and his stock rear axle with a set of lug pattern changing wheel spacers to make the two lug patterns match.
Yes forgot to say what I'm using. 89 Jeep GW.

But I'm not using a wheel spacer/adapter to change my lug pattern. I do have a one but only for the spare tire, so I only need 1 spare for all 4. Full size tire too. By the way all 10 years or so that i got the truck I never used the spare.

Rear has the Dakota 6x4.5 Front 6x5.5, same rims to match.

Quick Reply: SAS options