1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Spider Gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:24 PM
drhouse822
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spider Gears

OK guys I'm new to this forum and I have always owned jeeps. My problem is is i have a 96 Dakota 318 4x4. I'm getting ready to head cross country so I have started the maintenance to get the truck ready. While doing the front diff I found my spider gears are just not right (lots of play and the C clips were laying in the bottom of the pumpkin) its almost like the diff was taken apart and no shims were used on the spider gears i can slide the Cs on with the center pin in place, but the shaft sits in to far to seat in the gear. The spring tension on the CV shafts is keeping the components in place. I don't have time to get the front end over hauled. With an IFS can I pull the spider gears and run as a two wheel drive, will my inner axle shafts destroy my seals if I do this, or where every thing is still in place top it off with fluid and run it in its present state. I have not heard any noise coming from either axle. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The pinion gears you can remove, but keep the the pinion shaft in. But the side gears will need to be in place to hold the axle shafts straight or else the interior ends of the shaft will have play since the side gears act as an inner bearing for the shaft and it can wear out the outer bearings or bend the shafts slightly and may take out the seals too.

I say just get some shims and don't risk it. Check your local junkyards or www.craigslist.org

Or go to your local Dodge dealer or maybe Napa and see if they have any correct shims. Lots of cities will have a Driveshaft shop, most have axle components as well. Or www.ringpinion.com

Quick Reply: Spider Gears