1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1992 Dakota 3.9L 4x4 Just bought No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Bjavers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Dakota 3.9L 4x4 Just bought No Spark

Ok i have not had time to go through all the posts yet im sure there is something in here that will give me a start for trouble shooting. Basically just bought it Cheap basically scrap price guy could not get it started. Right now turns over fine seems to get fuel however no spark. Any ideas on best place to start. Being the 1992 i do not think it has the splice issue i was told that started on the 1993, ideas Crank sensor, computer, coil(however i have tested the leads going to the coil and i get no voltage when i unplig the wiring harness form the bottom and turn over motor. ANy ideas greatly appreciated I will be reading to forum today to see what i can find out.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Bjavers

Little more info the guy i bought it from said he drove it up till about aug of 2010 so it has sat the last nine months or so.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the splice. Check the FAQ for a good write up with pics. It is a few posts above this one.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Bjavers

I will pull all the wiring harness apart tonight, so i am guessing the splice was also an issue with the 1992's? In the FAQ section it said 93+. And i am guesiing i am looking for any spot where wires have tape around them.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:25 PM
manyhobbies

Originally Posted by Bjavers
I will pull all the wiring harness apart tonight, so i am guessing the splice was also an issue with the 1992's? In the FAQ section it said 93+. And i am guesiing i am looking for any spot where wires have tape around them.
Look just behind the fues/relay box towards the firewall.

Have you checked out the faq section of this site? There are a lot of good pics there.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Bjavers

Okay so pulled apart the wiring harness all splices look good except for 1 spot, there are 2 grey wires and a black one that come together out of the fuse box they go into a black plug but not pluged into anything, i do not have a wiring diagram yet, guessing these are AC not hooked up because the pickup doesnt have AC, the only other multi wire splice was a few blue wires and that one looked good, so as far as I can tell the splice does not seem to be the issue. If the crank sensor was bad would i have any power to the coil while turning the truck over??

Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Bjavers

Ok So i tried to get the codes off the Check engine light and suprise suprise i get no check engine light tried the On of on of on within 5 seconds and light never comes on. Is it common for the check engine light to burn out?? Does this by any chance point to a specific problem?? Can anybody give me what color wires i should be looking for on the Splice, i really only see on big splice with some blue wires in it and the connections look good?? Is this possibly a computer problem, is there anyway to check computer?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Bjavers

It was power splice i had to track it down farther back towards the firewall, wires were not toghether lots of corrosion, cleaned them up some contact grease and a quick wire nut and she fired right up.

Quick Reply: 1992 Dakota 3.9L 4x4 Just bought No Spark