1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 dakota xfer case problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 AM
automan573
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 dakota xfer case problem

okay so i swapped out my leaky and what i assumed was, a worn original rear axle for a donor from the bone yard
there was a lot of play in the pinion so i assumed it was probally tearing up the ring gear with the pinion walking up and down the gear

okay so due to monitary issues it's been like that for a while and it showed up as a huge driveline slop
i have to work the clutch just right to stop it from sounding like Fonzie trying to say the word "wrong"

right, as i said i swapped the axle and i expected that my slop would go away but it only lessened to a degree, so i suspect that my transfer case is to blame
i suppose it can also be the tranny but i just can't see how that's possible

so finally to the question

if there was going to be slop in the xfer case..where would it be?

95 dakota, 5 speed nv3500, np231 xfer case, 8.25 axle 3.55 gears,
318 v8

thanx all in advance

Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Disconnect the drive shaft. Then spin the differential yoke and see if that is all your play. Then slide in the diveshaft yoke onto the transfercase alone, then check the play.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

i had a problem with u-joints. pull the driveshaft off and rotate the front and rear joints for binding. if they are smooth then there is a bearing in the rear of the tranny that may be worn.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 PM
automan573

i can say for sure that my u joints aren't the problem
and i swapped the rear end yesterday, so i'm left with the xfer case or the tranny
i know for sure i have a bad input bearing in the tranny...loud in every gear except for 4th

and i do have slop in the driveshaft is i just grab it and rotate it...but no side movement

so again i have to come back to what might wear out in the transfer case to cause slop like that
or even the tranny
i know the xfer case isn't one solid shaft straight through, so is it feasable that i can get this kinda play in whatever couples the two parts of the mainshaft in the tcase?

Quick Reply: 95 dakota xfer case problem