1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How To: Fix Gas Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:25 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How To: Fix Gas Gauge

Well, the issue I was having was, the gas gauge would work ABOVE 3/4 tank, and BELOW 1/4 tank (would indicate totally empty in between). Anyways, the issue appears to be the contacts between the float and the resistor board were loose, causing a loss of contact.
Repair is outlined below:
Available as a PDF http://www.jamesmkowalski.com/Automo... Gauge Fix.pdf (400KB, PDF)

Prerequisite: Fuel pump module removed from truck.
WARNINGS:
(1) Be extremely careful when working with fuel system components. Gasoline is highly flammable.
(2) Wear proper protective equipment (including: nitrile gloves or similar, chemical-splash goggles if a splash-hazard is possible, proper respirator if conditions require).
(3) Work only in a well-ventilated area, unless proper respiratory equipment is available.
(4) Have proper fire extinguishing means available. Fire extinguishers should be “Class B.”
(5) It is advisable to have another person available in case of emergency (to help, contact emergency services, etc).
(6) Always review the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for chemicals/products you work with. You can find MSDS on the manufactures website, or through an internet search.

NOTES:
(1) Safe work practices are YOUR responsibly.
(2) By working on your own vehicle, you absolve anyone else from any damage, injury, or other situation that may arise from performing this procedure.

STEP 1: With fuel pump module removed from fuel tank, locate the float assembly (circled in red below).

STEP 2: At the base of the float assembly, locate the black retaining tab (Arrow 1). Pull the black retaining tab straight up to remove. This will expose two beige/white tabs that hold the float assembly in place (Arrows 2 and 3). Separate both tabs, and pull the float assembly up to remove.

(Above) Pulling float assembly off of fuel pump assembly.

STEP 3: Locate the two contacts on the float assembly. Carefully bend them slightly.

STEP 4: Reinstall float assembly on fuel pump assembly, reinstall the black retaining tab.
Follow On: Reinstall fuel pump module.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice job! Good write up.

I will add this to the FAQ.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:07 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i figured this out a while ago with mine...atleast now there is a good write up on this issue...

Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
i figured this out a while ago with mine...atleast now there is a good write up on this issue...
Yea, I got the gist of the fix from here, but decided to put it in pictures, since there continues to be the question popping up.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yours must eb teh integrated one...mine had 2 screws holding it on

Quick Reply: How To: Fix Gas Gauge