1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 4WD Ext Cab Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Remark
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 95 4WD Ext Cab Parking Brake

Hi Guys,
Anyone have experience with the forward and intermediate parking brake cables on the 1995 4WD Extended Cab?
Any advice on length of intermediate cable?
Any advice on doing the final adjustment different from what the shop manual recommends?

thanks

Old 08-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just follow what the service manual recommends then park on a steep hill and test it out to see if it rolls.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Remark
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Crazy4x4RT,
I replaced the forward cable and the intermediate cable. The rear cables had been replaced three years ago. Maybe I should have replaced them as well. The rod had been pulled through the tensioner pretty good and I was able to wallow it back to a resemblance of the image shown in the shop manual. I made a mark the 1/4" from the bracket on the rod and have tightened the adjuster nut to about half the threaded rod. The mark on the rod has not moved even though the cables are as tight as banjo strings. Also, when I release the brake, there is no tension to hold the pedal up.
Tomorrow I'll tighten some more until the rod moves or a cable breaks.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you still don't have enough tension.
Raise the one rear wheel up, make sure you don't put to much tension on the cable that the tire starts dragging when the brake is not applied. Then apply the parking brake and tighten till the wheel is in-movable but double check it spins freely when released.

Quick Reply: 95 4WD Ext Cab Parking Brake