1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1994 Dakota....grrr

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
garycm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Dakota....grrr

Ok..here we go.....
I have 1994 Dakota. 3.9l 2wd automatic.

I had trouble with the fuel delivery, that is now working.

However, upon picking the truck up today, I have no brake lights, tail lights, head lights, front marker lights, horn, tach, cigarette lighter, dash lights or license plate lights.

I do have dome lights, hazard lights, turn signals, speedometer and the volt/ heat/ pressure gauges seem to be working. The fuel gauge has not worked since the fuel pump was replaced, everything worked light a charm before.

I have a good 20 amp fuse in fuse #8 in fusebox. I am lost here. I believe it should mostly run off the same couple of fuses, yet all seem fine.

Please..any help is appreciated.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 PM
garycm

is there any way to test the voltage going to the fuses? If so, how? and what would it be? I have a digital multimeter.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:22 PM
rj67bu
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what was the problem with the fuel delivery? while testing the pump they could have been testing power from one source to another and grounded something out causing a blown fuse or relay

Old 08-12-2011, 02:54 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by garycm
is there any way to test the voltage going to the fuses? If so, how? and what would it be? I have a digital multimeter.
All fuses have a small open spot at the head of the fuse, put the positive lead on there and the negative on a good ground. Test both sides of the fuse. If nothing check a few fuses with known good circuits to test your ground. There are a few other fuses like the headlights ect. The FAQ has the fuse diagrams, under the dash and under the hood.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...e-manuals.html

Old 08-12-2011, 12:19 PM
qlty94
Rookie

The tail lites might have been disconnected if they lifted the bed to work on the fuel pump

Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM
garycm

Well, I got it. The problem with the fuel delivery was caused by the 2 relays for fuel pump and ignition being grounded out. That was fixed, and when the black relay box by the battery was put back into place, the 50amp fuse in the relay box blew. I had checked my fuse box under dash, and some fuses like the #6, 7, 8 and others had no power at all. As soon as I replaced the fuse in the relay box, everything worked. Thanks for the ideas.

Quick Reply: 1994 Dakota....grrr