1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1990 dakota while doing 70 mph died.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
kuhnmjk1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 dakota while doing 70 mph died.

Please help

while doing 70 mph on freeway my 1990 dakota just up and died. It back fired/popped 3 times and has not started since. I changed coil, hall pick up, checked all the major splices and relays I could find. the motor spins very well, gets fuel when you turn it on but it will not start. I have trace down a plug in the top of the tranny with 2 orange wires with white stripes and a black with pink strip?? this plug has about 3 inches of all three wires insulation melted off. where can I get a new tranny harness online and will this fix my problem of not starting. what does that plug plug into I think book called it the cruise control/ throttle lock will I need to change it out or other sensors and did this fry my smec(computer) I ran a code scan and got a 12- standby memory lost at whits end help

Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 PM
kuhnmjk1

almost forgot it's a v 6 with a tbi fuel system and automatic tranny. where is the asd relay located and what does it look like??? is it one of the three on the drivers side fender behind the shock tower? they all work.

I want to thank everyone for rehashing an old subject with me but Those fixes are not working for me and I am hoping a new harness will fix my issues. the truck has 260,000 miles on it of which 23,000 are mine and it was running great till this happened.

Last edited by kuhnmjk1; 08-27-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: adding needed info
Old 08-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since you have melted wires I would start there. Who knows what else it fried, even though it looks okay from the outside it could be bad on the inside. Unfortunately there are no replacement wiring harnesses new. Junkyard is your best option. As for the transmission plug, maybe the TCC or OD or Speed sensor wires. Find out what is unplugged. Sorry if it sounds like I'm no help but we can't fix it or diagnose it for you over the internet.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 PM
kuhnmjk1
Default 70 mph and died

thanks. was not quite what i was looking for. i was looking for other things to look for that would cause this. i re-taped wires and then coated each with rtv and retaped again then plug back in and did not help. was looking for a new line of places to check to see if that would help me out. ie a sensor or fuse or anything else.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:32 PM
kahanabob
Captain

take off the distribuator cap, have someone crank the engine over while you watch to see if the rotor turns, if not timeing chain is toast????

Old 08-30-2011, 12:33 PM
kuhnmjk1

it does turn i have changed coil and hall pick up coil. unplugged mapp sensor which i was told was the test for it checked and cleaned 2 splice blocks checked fuseable links it gets gas when you turn key on and has cone while turning over just no fire. new smec last april. new alt. last april new battery last april help!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1990 dakota while doing 70 mph died.