1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 5.2L 4x4 starting issues and it was a run issue I think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 AM
jeepfreek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 5.2L 4x4 starting issues and it was a run issue I think?

My daughter just got this truck last month and has been letting it sit since I had to drive it home. What happened was while on the ride home from the seller it died on me, started back up after a couple of minutes then died again about a mile down the road, started a third time and made it home the last 2 miles, the trip was about 25 miles and had no problem before this or during our 2 hours of deciding she wanted it? Since that day I had to do a few things to make it more reliable and try to figure out this run issue, brakes, axle seal and small stuff like that. It never would die on me again on short trips so I told her to try to drive it to work, about 5 miles, and see if it does it again. She drove it a full 2 days with no issues then it died on her and had to have it towed home. I've been checking a few things since then and can't seem to find out why it wont start? The fuel pressure is at 40lbs whith the key on and solid but drops during cranking, I think is normal but its been awhile? I had checked it when it died on me and it was the same so no change there. It gets spark so I think the coil is fine. its been a few years since I sold my last Dak, had 3, but I slightly remember having a problem with one and its oil pressure switch not letting it run? Am I wrong or mistaken that it is part of an auto shut down cirrcut and if not reading won't let the engine start? Maybe an unrelated issue or possibly not it also has some kind of short involving the oil pressure and fuel gauge on the insturment cluster. While driving it myself the trip home the fuel gauge would slowly drop and then rise and the OP gauge would as well at the same time. I had this issue with the wifes van once and it was the plastic PC film on the back of the gauges which was solved with some duct tape, cheap but nobody could see it, this cluster has a hard PC board so don't know what to do there?

As a recap cause I'm long winded...
No start
Did run but died on road and restart after 1-2 minutes
Fuel pressure at 40lbs and holding but drops during cranking
Has spark
Oil pressure gauge not currently reading as well as fuel gauge but all fuses good (even fuse links under hood)
OP and Fuel gauges have been seen fluctuating while driving
Only codes showing with "Check Engine" light are 12 and 33 which are from what I see are "Battery disconect within last 50 cycles" and "A/C system fault"

Any ideas?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So every time it dies it WILL start up after a few minutes right? Did you check for fuel pressure and spark within that minute that it doesn't start back up?

One possibility is that it may be the notorious splice that feeds the fuel pump and ASD relays. Check the FAQ in this section to see a write up on it with pictures for locations.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:23 PM
jeepfreek

It did start after it died on me but since the tow home it has been a no start. I replaced the oil pressure switch but it didn't do anything. I started thinking that the timing might have jumped at the chain, had a '79 van that did, so I checked compression and TDC and all that looks fine.

Got any other ideas?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:18 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm leaning towards the notorious splice being your issue, as Crazy4x4RT said. Take a look in the FAQ sections for more info on how to find it, and how to clean it

Old 09-11-2011, 09:31 PM
jeepfreek

Ok, today was the first day all week I was able to devote some time to this issue and this is what I did. I peeled apart the fenderwell harness to find this nortorious bad splice that everybody seems to believe is the issue. Didn't find anything broke or coroded but the truck now starts? I can't explain it other than there might have been something wrong but do apparent signs of problem but I also pulled the 2 ground connections apart with the quick disconnect from that harness to the motor and those did have a little "green" corrosion but not much. It could've been either the harness or the grounds but I can't be sure which?

On a second note, but this could be related to the issue, the tach and fuel gauge don't seem to work and during the time I was working on this thing I have found a burned out fuse pocket on the fuse box under the dash? Its the number 9 slot with a small red wire with a white tracer and I can't seem to find my Haynes or the owners manual so could someone help with these issues?

Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That burnt spot could be the problem like you stated. The FAQ has the service manual you can download with the wiring diagrams.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 PM
jeepfreek

Ok the burnt slot looks to be for the lighter and since she don't smoke she don't need it but I'll fix it so she can charge her phone.

The tach and fuel gauge issue still remains. I was thinking about the cluster today and thought I remembered the small circuit board that plugs into back having issues? Any suggestions on these problems?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepfreek
Ok the burnt slot looks to be for the lighter and since she don't smoke she don't need it but I'll fix it so she can charge her phone.

The tach and fuel gauge issue still remains. I was thinking about the cluster today and thought I remembered the small circuit board that plugs into back having issues? Any suggestions on these problems?
The tach gauge not working is likely due to a bad ground on the cluster. I'm having the same issue with mine right now, only mine is slowly coming back on it's own, intermittently. If you take the cluster out and clean the ground connection, it should fix the problem. Now as for the fuel gauge not working, theres a known problem with the float rails in the tank. I'm not good at explaining this one, so just wait for Crazy4x4RT to chime in

Quick Reply: 94 5.2L 4x4 starting issues and it was a run issue I think?