1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

CHEV-OTA. DAKOTA FRAME SWAP. tons of pics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 AM
logancounterman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buick
As long as you've got some up-travel without rubbing, you'd be fine on 31s. My buddy's '06 Dak was running P265s (about 28s) and he made it through some tricky stuff. Another little bit would've helped him a lot, my 33's were cakewalking the green (easy) trails.

Go hit a speedbump at 7mph and that'll tell you if you rub or not lol

You're going to trailer it? I hope that means you're gonna drive it to break it, or I am disappoint.

I have to put it on a trailer the cops would be on my *** all the way out there. I mean maybe if i made it legal but i like my 39 inch tires.

Hell yea I'm bringing it out there to see what else i can break and drive it like i stole it. Need to find a big mud hole to sink it in.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 AM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by logancounterman
I have to put it on a trailer the cops would be on my *** all the way out there. I mean maybe if i made it legal but i like my 39 inch tires.

Hell yea I'm bringing it out there to see what else i can break and drive it like i stole it. Need to find a big mud hole to sink it in.
What's not street legal about it?

Also, I'm going to dare you to attempt Sunken Treasure.

That's a Cherokee with 6.5" lift and 33s.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 PM
logancounterman
Veteran

Originally Posted by buick
What's not street legal about it?

Also, I'm going to dare you to attempt Sunken Treasure.

That's a Cherokee with 6.5" lift and 33s.
The tires hang out too far. Idk i need to find a back yard garage. lol..
Other wise i think its passable.

Dang nice dare. can i give you one? lol. i'll think about that one.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:14 AM
logancounterman
Veteran

Well everyone ive come to that fork in the road. I need to do something with my mud truck. Its become one of those trucks i cant start at my own house with out the police showing up. I cant drive it up my privte drive and the cops r waiting at the end of the road. Ive got a couple tickets now and its not worth making it legal because theres so much different from the chevy to the dodge. It could be done but not with my young pockets. I"m going to try and sell it or part it out. I got a new truck its a 97 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4. Im thinking for doing a bunch of work to it. But im going to do it right. Sas swap keep the tires in the wheel wells. I wish i could keep my mud truck but i just see it sitting in the yard. and its extra cash that could be put into my daily driver

Well What im getting to is if your interested in buying it or would like parts off of it let me know.

Thanks logan.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

This.just my two cents but you should hang onto it and use it only for mudding. If you need to just trailer it out there with your daily. My brother did that with his instead of selling it was happy unlike me who refers selling my first dakota. You can do whatever you want, this is just my opinion.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Jesse95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the last thing I would do is sell it, throw it up on some jack stands in the back yard to keep the tires from flat spotting, start it up once a week to keep the fluids movin and let it sit while you save up to buy a daily driver. you will regret it if you sell it, ask anybody that sold their first vehicle.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM
jake122288
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse95
the last thing I would do is sell it, throw it up on some jack stands in the back yard to keep the tires from flat spotting, start it up once a week to keep the fluids movin and let it sit while you save up to buy a daily driver. you will regret it if you sell it, ask anybody that sold their first vehicle.
I completely agree. I bought my first vehicle at 15 (my 1994 ford explorer) and a couple years back needed money and didnt have a drivers license at the time so i sold it. when i sold it she was sitting on 6 inches of lift and 33x12.5's plus a bunch of other off road accessories. I hated selling it and i really kicked myself in the butt after i did and got my license back.

thankfully i was looking on the local craigslist about 6 months ago, and found my exact explorer, which i thankfully could buy back... Its a beautiful truck, and imho you would regret selling it.

Id just get a cheap beater truck and slap a few inches of lift on it and tires to match and have a "on road play toy" as i call them (like my 1991 dakota sport)

you put alot of work into it, and its not a "bought" truck. you built it and you should keep it

Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM
logancounterman
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jesse95
Yea i know i may keep it theres some things i would change about it if i keep it and i may put it up on logs and sell the axles and tires though because i wanta go bigger if i do keep it.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL, sounds like you went to large to quick. Ya trailer it to the trail or maybe just delete the body and build a buggie truck, roll cage ect. Some states will let you register a home built vehicle if it passes an safety inspection.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 PM
logancounterman
Veteran

No i knew i went that big it was all a good plain until i realised i couldnt make it legal. But Hey I did build a pretty big and bad *** dakota.. I dont know if i can get rid of it but yea sell the axles now because i need money and build it bigger latter. I mean rock wells and 54s is the goal.. sooo.. time will tell.

My new 97 dodge dakota and my 91 mud truck

I just rebuilt the engine in the 97 its the 3.9. flowmaster 40s cranked the front and add a leaf in the back. fog lights. 3.90 gears. mannal 4x4 drive shifter. boy do i love that compared to my full time 4x4 mud truck... stock tires looking for a set of 33s. or 5 inch lift and 35s

Name:  1223133932_02_zps13b35d2c.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  63.9 KB

Last edited by logancounterman; 12-23-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: CHEV-OTA. DAKOTA FRAME SWAP. tons of pics.