1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My trucks last days....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Gamer_chick1989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My trucks last days....

I'm pretty sure my truck has seen its final days today....I think the transmission is going out on it so i took it to the shop today and will find out tomorrow whats going on....I'm not going to be able to afford a new one so my question is should i sell the truck as is or sell it for parts....everything but the transmission is good on it and I know how hard it is to find good parts for these dakotas...at least in my city they are really hard to come by

Old 09-15-2011, 11:08 PM
logancounterman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ended up parting my truck out and then sold the chassis and made 700 dollors. but i think i did really well. line poeple up before you deside.

what mirrors are on that truck of your. i'm looking for the chrome ones.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Gamer_chick1989

Sorry mine are not chrome...sad day :[

Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Bump
Veteran

If selling is your choice, I would post it for sale as a repairable. There are alot of people out there that can replace it themselves for a few hundred bucks.

Parting it out is sort of a pain and selling it " for parts" will only bring as much as the most expensive part. Maybe 500 tops.

Other option is to sell it at an auction if you have one near by. Goes against morals, but you would sell it "as is" with out having to discuss issues with the buyer. Is a way of burying the problems but most people who buy from auctions know its extremely buyer beware and it there for a reason.

Tough position.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Gamer_chick1989

well guy at the shop said its really F***ed up with electrical right now so he thinks thats for sure what it is. I'm going to be without my truck for like a week or so....idk I guess I have a lot to think about when it comes to selling my truck : / But thanks for the info

Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

I hope the truck comes out of this one alright for you

I absolutely hate electrical.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:35 PM
hogback
Professional

i will buy the brake prop valve if you end up parting out

Old 10-04-2011, 12:18 AM
VINCE 91
Professional

Thats a beautiful Dakota. It would be a shame to part it out. My tranny went out and the truck sat in my driveway for 10 monthes. Finally got it rebuilt. Never regretted it. I love that freakin' thing. Hope it works out for you and they can fix it cheap.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 AM
GreenDak22
Professional

Ya know, I have basically the exact same truck as you and I love the damn thing. Some major repairs are needed on my truck and I'm paying my college tuition out of pocket, so my budget isn't allowing me to fix it at the moment. But I decided that it's worth waiting until I have the money to fix.
These dakotas are starting to become hard to come by in such great condition, such as yours. I'm hoping you keep it because I'm sure you'll regret getting rid of it. Just my opinion though.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

Originally Posted by GreenDak22
Ya know, I have basically the exact same truck as you and I love the damn thing. Some major repairs are needed on my truck and I'm paying my college tuition out of pocket, so my budget isn't allowing me to fix it at the moment. But I decided that it's worth waiting until I have the money to fix.
These dakotas are starting to become hard to come by in such great condition, such as yours. I'm hoping you keep it because I'm sure you'll regret getting rid of it. Just my opinion though.
+1 to that. My 95 is bulletproof, it'll haul a house and tow a 4,000 lb trailer all day long. Mine had some serious electrical problems when I bought it, the guy couldn't afford the repairs and I bought it from him for $1000, spent $200 in parts and my baby runs strong. Next time I buy a truck will be a 2500 or 3500 Ram Diesel, but that's not for another 5 years. In my area, there are several 1st gen dakotas that are still running even if the paint is all faded. Keep your truck, pretty soon, it'll be a collectible.

Quick Reply: My trucks last days....