1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine dies error code 32

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:00 PM
subguy89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies error code 32

Hi,
I have a 1994 Dakota Ext Cab SLT 3.9L V6 with A/T. The other day driving down the road it started sputtering and slowing down. Gas gauge read 1/2. Ran fine for 1/2 mile then died. I pulled over and was able to start it again. It ran for a few seconds then died. It would not start after that. Used a gas can and put some gas in the tank. Still wouldn't start. I put some gas in the carb and it started right up but died shortly after. I had it towed home and checked the error codes tonite. The codes were 12 and 32. Before the truck died the check engine light would come on periodically.
It seemed like it was out of gas. I have run it out of gas before due to a faulty gas gauge. The thread with the error codes says 32 is the EGR valve. I don't know enough to say if this is the cause of the truck dying.

Sorry such a long post. Trying to provide as much info as possible.
Your help is appreciated.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:50 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since poring gas in the Throttle Body (it is not a carb) lets it start up tells you, that you have a gas problem. Fuel pump isn't running. Most likely a dead fuel pump. Other possibilities are maybe clogged fuel filter or pinched lines bad wiring bad relay the notorious splice.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:24 AM
subguy89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I figured it was the fuel pump based on what I am seeing. I wasn't sure if the EGR error code was related in any way.

I have researched the fuel pump/filter and see that they are one unit located on top of the tank. I have also seen that some recommend dropping the tank while others recommend lifting the truck bed off. Not sure which would be easier as I have never done either before.

Quick Reply: Engine dies error code 32