1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Deadkota...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:17 AM
Shredjelly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deadkota...

So I have a 1992 Dakota that recently died on me. I haven't checked the codes yet, since there's a long an obnoxious story that precedes this conundrum. Anyways, she died on me while trying to get her from point A to point B, I'm sure that there was a fuel pump I haven't interrogated yet...

Now I plan on doing everything that's in the 1st gen tune up thread, because quite frankly it needs it, and this is why: I worked in Carpentry and got this truck for going the 85 miles to and from a work site. I don't know how long the truck was in commission with the driving stuff, but I know it has been used for hauling tool trailers and 40 foot cranes. And a couple of drivers, the last of which beat the holy hell out of it. Park is now N, etc etc.

So what I'm looking for here is a general list of things that get damaged through all that, plus a moron tow truck driver who is too blind to see my keys (with a pink keychain) on the seat to shift the truck into neutral.

And I just joined here, since I like a lot of the trucks I see. Mine's a Sport with the 3.9l. 4WD, of course... I'll throw up some pictures and a lot more details, since I'm in Vancouver and my truck is in... well, Maine. Thanks for any help!.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, in addition to doing a complete tune up & possibly a new fuel pump, I would check the transmission fluid level & color. If it's black, be prepared to do an overhaul. With hardcore towing & hauling that your truck went through, If the truck does drive, depending on when it was last serviced, it could possibly be on its final leg.

I would also replaced the front & rear differential gear oil and also check your u-joints for both driveshafts. Last thing, make sure the brakes are OK, i.e. pads, rotors, shoes, calipers, wheel cylinders, etc. and your steering components, steering gear, idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods.