1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Smog vac line sizes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:53 PM
azvampyre
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog vac line sizes

The large vac lines running from the ported (front left) side of the throttle body which runs through a check valve and into the manifold through a tee and into the evap canister had become as brittle as old pretzels.
The number 24462 is stamped on them and they look to be 1/4", but over the years, they expanded and shrunk to different sizes all through.
It's a 95 4x4 with the 5.2 engine.
I need to order the lines online somewhere since I'm 70 miles from town in the Mojave desert, so taking it to autozone isn't an option.
Does anyone know the correct size of line I need for this replacement? Thank you in advance.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL! I would of said to just drive down to Autozone and change it one by one. But for your case it may not be that easy like you said.

Best bet is to get out some calipers and accurately measure each connector and the length needed per line. Order several feet of what you need to make it all work.

I wish I could say there is a simple kit made to fit or there is an online manual that shows the sizes, but there isn't.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 10-02-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 AM
festerw
Veteran

Summit Racing, AutoZone and Advance all have red silicone hose kits.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM
azvampyre
Professional

Thanks for the answers guys.
I ended up chopping six inches out of the kitchen sinks faucet that pulls out of the sink, using that to get to AZ, and bought a silicon kit. They said it was the last kit, and they wouldn't be selling the kits anymore, so I went that way. The Goodyear hoses were special order with a two week wait.
I didn't really need my engine to look like a gaming PC, but these blue lines glow when the hoods up and the hood lights on; kinda cool I guess.

p.s. The emission lines are 1/4" from the throttle body to manifold and smog canister, and 7/64" from RH manifold to egr valves plastic fittings.
The L-line from the passenger side manifold pressure port to the tee into the ported side of the throttle body has been discontinued, but it's the Dorman/Help emission line that AZ sells for "select Plymouth/Chrysler" models. total cost: $8.95 for the silicon kit, marked down from $26.95, and $6.99 for the L shaped dorman hose.
The results are no more 31 and 32 fault codes, the idle is now steady instead of jumping up and down, it no longer misfires or backfires during deceleration (it backfired once so loud when i brought it home after I bought it, the car next to me pulled over to see if he blew a tire, lol), and the A/C blower no longer switches to defrost when I pass someone on the freeway. I also replaced a faulty egr transducer, so that probably had alot to do with it.
Now if I could figure out where this plugged hose coming from the 4wd axle goes, I will be in good shape.

Last edited by azvampyre; 10-07-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:37 PM
festerw
Veteran

Only hose coming from the axle should be the breather, does it a white hat looking thing on it?

Shouldn't be any vacuum stuff there since I believe the axle disconnect was discontinued in 92 or 93.

Last edited by festerw; 10-02-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
azvampyre
Professional

Originally Posted by festerw
Only hose coming from the axle should be the breather, does it a white hat looking thing on it?

Shouldn't be any vacuum stuff there since I believe the axle disconnect was discontinued in 92 or 93.

Ah..yes sir. It's wearing a black hat.
Thank you for the assist.

Quick Reply: Smog vac line sizes