1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need Help! running out of time and money :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:48 PM
rd400f
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help! running out of time and money :(

I'll try to give as much info as I can and still keep this relativly short.

I have a 96 Dakota, 3.9 slt ext cab 4x4. auto trans. It ran fine but the frame was shot. I bought a 94 dakota all the same as above, but the frame was good and the Tranny was shot. I was going to do a swap. but like an idiot I didn't check to see if all was compatable.
Long story short, I switched all the wiring from headlights to taillights and everything in the cab, including gage cluster. swapped out tranny's and fuel pumps. switched fuel rail and injectors. swapped out ecm's ...everything.

The problem I'm having now is, I have about 44 psi at the fuel rail test port. I have gas at the injectors. but it won't run. about every 6th try it starts up and sounds like its going to run fine... for about 30 seconds then it quits. If you touch the accellerator while its doing this it stops immedeatly. If you dump a little fuel into the throttle body it will keep running.
All I can think of is bad injectors or a bad ecm? maybe bad gas?? I'm not sure. I know that 44psi is on the low side of what is called for ...96 says 44 to 58. any ideas or any suggestions on what to check next?? HELP!! I start a new job on monday and really need to get this thing going

Old 10-07-2011, 05:23 PM
1stG92
Professional

Id have to say to check your fuel pump.Had this same problem in one of my Chevy's..I know,trader but was given to me by my dad,lol.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is the minimum fuel pressure but it should run.
If you think it is injectors, I would suggest to pull up the fuel rail (one side at a time) and have someone crank and slightly lift the injectors above and see if they are spraying good. Check all 8.

It also sounds like a vacuum leak, check all vacuum hoses.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 PM
rd400f

go figure... I took out the plugs, .. all wet. put new plugs in and turned the dist. a little counter clockwise, and WA-LAH!! she runs fine!! I guess when you do a project like this where you change all the wires from headlights to taillights including all of the interior wires you automatically expect the worst. Now all I have to do is finish connecting the front drive shaft, bolting down the rear tranny mount, hooking up the 4x4 shifter, and welding up the exhaust. Wish me luck and thanks for the help!!!

Quick Reply: Need Help! running out of time and money :(