1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

5 speed swap...which nv3500?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Duran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 speed swap...which nv3500?

i've read the nv3500 swap thread a couple of times now and done a fair chunk of research but can't find a clear out line of what doner vehicles are acceptable. I got a 94 dak club cab v8 mag thats automatic (46rh) now that i want to switch over to the nv3500. I understand ill need the the brake master cylinder and pedal all the clutch hydraulics and pedal assembly the transfer case and drive shafts BUT... can i grab this out of a singal cab v6 4x4 model etc. Long of the short is i want to know what years and models can i get this swap from.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 AM
mulder25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in a similar position, i want to do a transmission swap, but that thread, though very detailed, and very well formatted, is not quite relevant to my situation. Odds are you can get all the parts you need from one vehicle, but it may require a lot of jimmy-rigging. If you find something specifically designed for your vehicle, it will require less customization and work. I would say go to your local junkyard, you will have hundreds of vehicles to look through, and find something that works. It may require 5 different vehicles, but most of the effort will be looking around, not drilling holes, welding and cutting through metal, looking around has a lot better error rate...
The answer to your long of the short question i dont know directly, but the transmission will be found on many. The other parts, unless you can find the same model and year you have, you are not going to find everything you need on one vehicle without a lot of customization of the parts and your vehicle to accept them. You are trying to fit a square through a circle to save time, but you could fit a circle through a circle, and a square through a square, and save stress, but maybe not time.

Last edited by mulder25; 10-18-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rams and dakotas...i swapped in an nv3500 from a 94 ram into my 93 dakota...jusst different gearing between the two of them

Quick Reply: 5 speed swap...which nv3500?