1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hissing sound possibly from rad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing sound possibly from rad?

So I did a rad swap a couple of months ago, then a water pump, and then a huge flushing session at the dealership.

After I did my water pump there was a loud hissing sound coming from my truck which me and my dad figured was just air escaping from the swap or pressure equalizing. Considering the truck ran fine I didn't think much of it. But I'm just throwing this up on here to see what you guys think. My first guess would be my cap is messed up since it was pretty gunked up from the oil that magically found its way into my cooling system before I did my flush . It still makes this sound when the truck is warming up in the mornings usually sometimes it doesn't.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have oil in the coolant it sounds like a blown head gasket. If it is that extreme the hissing can be exhaust gases coming through.

First check your coolant see if the oil is back in. If not then replace the cap, they are cheep.

First thought when hearing a hiss to me sounds like the throttle body, which is okay if so. But if your sure your hearing it at the radiator then its not it.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not my head gasket I know that much.
The oil got in my coolant cause I was an absolute idiot and didn't read into the project and just pulled all the lines and let them drain into the same bucket followed by putting it all back into my rad.
My coolant is clean its nice and green.
I guess I'll throw a new cap on the rad and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Hissing sound possibly from rad?