1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

RPMs fluctuate, stuck accelerator pedel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
GreenDak22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPMs fluctuate, stuck accelerator pedel?

So my truck has been acting weird lately. I'll be driving and when I hit the clutch to shift up, the RPMS will stay high until it gets put into the higher gear. Also sometimes I'll hit the clutch, put it into neutral to coast, and the RPMs will fluctuate on their own without me actually hitting the pedal. It's not a constant occurrence, but it happens frequently.

Originally, I thought it was the IAC, but I cleaned that earlier today to see if it would help...the engine sounds better and more responsive, but it didn't help with the issue at hand. I do, however, just plan on replacing the IAC, TPS, and O2 sensor (not that this has anything to do with it).

So during a 15 minute drive on the freeway tonight, I used my cruise-control. It's mechanical, in a sense, because it holds the gas pedal down to where it should be to maintain the given speed. This is when I got the idea to check the pedal when the RPMs go crazy. So I get into town, turn the cruise-control off, and drive normally.
Go figure, when the RPMs start fluctuating/not dropping down to idle when going to neutral, the pedal is sticking in the same position from when I take my foot off it

Now I'm wondering if it has something to do with the cruise-control, such as a faulty wire. Or perhaps it's just the linkage in the pedal. If it is the pedal, is there a way that I can grease it somewhere or somehow?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Old 11-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be the cables binding, just take a look at them and move them back and forth to see what happens, if needed disconnect both ends.

Quick Reply: RPMs fluctuate, stuck accelerator pedel?