1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Shelby Bed/Rear Cab Wedges??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 PM
moparnut38
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is a pic of one of my old dakotas that I had in the past that was a short box with the racerback on it:
Name:  P8280347.jpg
Views: 2523
Size:  152.9 KB
Name:  P8280353.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  156.4 KB

Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Thanks for the pictures I enjoyed them (your configuration) but you helped confirm my suspicion

Deff a neat looking truck for sure, and the racerback goes with your ground effects package but they kind of go hand in hand. I'm shooting for a "clean aerodynamic look" minus the boxy front end and squared lines I'm shooting for with the paint but what I don't like is how the racerback has a tapered outward flare to it...along with the spoiler.

I was wondering if a visor would be too much with a fastback but by the looks of yours they will go together well, speaking of since your a Mopar fan would you happen to know if there are two or more different versions of the visor? I swear I have seen some without lights (not painted over) and the top of them do not have a split or curve they are more flat and smooth?

I like your roll pan! I am most likely going with a straight roll pan like yours rather than the wedged version for the plate in the middle, one thing that might be a first but I feel strongly about with my scheme is using a tailgate net with a roll pan so the rear looks netted like a racecar window not to mention the functionality of being able to see where your backing up. I want to mount the net differently though and have it flush with the body line (flush like the tailgate would have been). With those AMC wheels it will really be different, have you seen my interior?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 PM
moparnut38
Professional

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
Thanks for the pictures I enjoyed them (your configuration) but you helped confirm my suspicion

Deff a neat looking truck for sure, and the racerback goes with your ground effects package but they kind of go hand in hand. I'm shooting for a "clean aerodynamic look" minus the boxy front end and squared lines I'm shooting for with the paint but what I don't like is how the racerback has a tapered outward flare to it...along with the spoiler.

I was wondering if a visor would be too much with a fastback but by the looks of yours they will go together well, speaking of since your a Mopar fan would you happen to know if there are two or more different versions of the visor? I swear I have seen some without lights (not painted over) and the top of them do not have a split or curve they are more flat and smooth?

I like your roll pan! I am most likely going with a straight roll pan like yours rather than the wedged version for the plate in the middle, one thing that might be a first but I feel strongly about with my scheme is using a tailgate net with a roll pan so the rear looks netted like a racecar window not to mention the functionality of being able to see where your backing up. I want to mount the net differently though and have it flush with the body line (flush like the tailgate would have been). With those AMC wheels it will really be different, have you seen my interior?
Yes there is 2 different types of visors. I had a couple of them and sold them a few years ago. they are flat and have no lights in them. From what I have searched I am pretty sure Lund made one with and without lights but the most common one that you are thinking about is not made by Lund and its just an off brand. I am almost possitive I have just seen one that you like without the lights at the local salvage yard here and I will be going out there again one of these next days and I will look for it and if I find it I will post a pic of it on here for you.
I dont think I saw a pic of your interior yet. I would like too see that if you have some pics of it.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 PM
moparnut38
Professional

I just went threw my pics of my old Dakota and come to find out I had one without the lights on that white Dakota that I just posted and here is what that one looked like without lights.......
Name:  P8280350.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  156.8 KB
Name:  P8280349.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  131.0 KB
Name:  P8280348.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  130.6 KB

Old 10-04-2012, 12:07 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Let me know if it's at the scrap yard, yeah I thought it was! Looks good is that as smooth as they get I still see some lines in the middle, I was going to try and blend the visor right into the roof with fiberglass and bondo.

My interior is still a work in progress and I should really take some new pictures but I started swapping out panels for grey as you can see...not much left besides the dash and door panels plus the headliner that needs to go! I put a sweet dome light in that flip out, came out of a Dakota. GMC rear view mirror with map lights, BMW power leather buckets (heated). Started ripping out the carpet which is out now, installed some wood grain I thought it complimented the leather..I will sew some leather into the door panels as well and probably the sun visors too. I need a new pic with the center console I took out of a VW it had leather interior so the console matches my seats (non-leather console but black) this way I have a hand brake to mess around with:

Name:  032.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  86.4 KBName:  IMG_0417.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  99.3 KB

Seats required custom brackets to be made out of the outer rear bench feet welded to steel plates:
Name:  IMG_0382.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  94.7 KB

The seat belts themselves are from a Mustang GT wound onto a Dakota spool with BMW male clips for the seat buckle, also the BMW belt mounts are sewn onto the Mustang belt:
Name:  IMG_1009.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  82.2 KB[/B]

Old 11-30-2021, 01:41 PM
richmiranda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you selling?

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
Dude you have everything!! You sure you don't wana make me a package deal for those wheels and the Shelby fibo light bar!? my truck would look so badass with those two items...
wondering if you are selling this?

Old 11-30-2021, 07:28 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by richmiranda
wondering if you are selling this?
Since the last message previous to yours was from 2012, I doubt the original poster still has whatever it is you're looking for.

Might want to check the date of the messages before replying to them.

RwP

Old 11-30-2021, 09:45 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

I contemplated saying the same thing but thought maybe he knew something I didn’t.

I did like the pictures.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:57 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Still alive and kicking folks I was never listing these for sale it was a wanted-post. I did end up purchasing an original Shelby fastback from moparnut38 above about 10 years ago and still have it to this day but it will never be for sale lol. Try contacting moparnut38 he has some treasures packed up. Let me know if he does not respond...I have his personal contact information. Cheers

The following users liked this post:
bronze (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 10:02 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Buehler is alive!

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (12-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Shelby Bed/Rear Cab Wedges??